Uniform charge across a rod, Professor couldn't answer

In summary, my professor had assigned this problem and when someone in class asked a question, he started doing it on the board and after using ~15min of class time decided there was an issue with the problem. The problem got progressively harder (which leads me to believe he must have made a mistake) and he ended up deciding we don't have to do it, but I'm interested in getting it done anyway.
Hydroshock
Alright, well I wanted to see what help I could get here, my professor had assigned this problem and when someone in class asked a question, he started doing it on the board and after using ~15min of class time decided there was an issue with the problem. The problem got progressively harder (which leads me to believe he must have made a mistake) and he ended up deciding we don't have to do it, but I'm interested in getting it done anyway.

Homework Statement

"A rod of length L has a total charge Q uniformly distributed alone its length. The rod lies along the x-axis with its center at the origin. (a) What is the electric potential as a function of position along the x-axis for x > L/2? (b) Show that for x >> L/2, your result reduces to that due to a point charge Q.

Homework Equations

V = int|kdq/r
dq = λdx
λ = Q/L
r = x0 - x

The Attempt at a Solution

Well what the problem was when we got to (b). Which after setting up the equation we ended up with

[tex] k\lambda\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac {dx} {x_0-x}) [/tex]

where after substitution we get

[tex] k\lambda\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}ln(x_0-x) [/tex]

but since there's units (meters) for x, it can't be run through a transcendental function, then I got lost here, but with more substitution we ended up with

[tex] V = k\lambdaln\frac {x_0-1/2} {x_0+1/2} [/tex]

then when the problem got going, it expanded and expanded and didn't get any simplification going, which is odd for a textbook question. I guess it's more of needing a check with the math work done in the problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

What you've done looks pretty good, but after subbing in the limits from the integral on this line:

[tex] \frac { \lambda } { 4 \pi \epsilon_o} ( ln (x_o + L/2) - ln (x_o - L/2) ) [/tex]

instead of combining the logs (using [tex] ln(A) - ln (B) = ln (A/B) [/tex]) like you've done on the next line, why not factorise out an x_o in each log? Then you can pull the x_o out of the log by using the log rule ln (AB) = ln A + ln B. Something like this:

[tex] \frac { \lambda } { 4 \pi \epsilon_o} ( ln (x_o) - ln (1 + \frac{L}{2x_o}) - ln(x_o) - ln (x_o - \frac{L}{2x_o}) ) [/tex]

Notice how the [tex] ln(x_o) [/tex] cancels.

Here's the trick now though. Try expanding each of the logs to O^2 in terms of a taylor series. If you've done it right, you'll hopefully get some canceling and be left with a an equation which you can replace the charge density and length by the total charge. You're final equation should look like this:

[tex] \frac { Q } { 4 \pi \epsilon_o x_o} [/tex]

Hope this helps :-)

For starters I'd use [tex]x'[/tex] to represent the position of the source charge, and [tex]x[/tex] to represent the field point along the x-axis. Then Coulomb's Law giives:

[tex]V(x)=k \lambda \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \frac{dx'}{|x-x'|} = -k \lambda ln \left( |x-x'| \right) |_{-L/2}^{L/2} = -k \lambda ln \left( \frac{|x-L/2|}{|x+L/2|} \right) = k \lambda ln \left( \frac{|x+L/2|}{|x-L/2|} \right)[/tex]

For [tex] x> L/2, \quad |x-L/2|=x-L/2, \quad |x+L/2|=x+L/2 [/tex]

So, your solution for (a) is:

[tex]V(x)=k \lambda ln \left( \frac{x+L/2}{x-L/2} \right)[/tex]

Now for (b), expand the log in a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_series" :

[tex] V(x)=k \lambda ln \left( \frac{x+L/2}{x-L/2} \right) =k \lambda ln \left( \frac{1+\frac{L}{2x}}{1-\frac{L}{2x}} \right) = k \lambda ln \left( 1+\frac{L}{2x} \right) - k \lambda ln \left( 1-\frac{L}{2x} \right) \approx k \lambda \left( \frac{L}{2x} - \frac{L^2}{8x^2} \right) - k \lambda \left( - \frac{L}{2x} - \frac{L^2}{8x^2} \right)=k \frac{ \lambda L}{x} = k \frac{Q}{x}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
That works gabbagabbahey :) Thanks for the help to you two.

What is a uniform charge across a rod?

A uniform charge across a rod refers to a situation where there is an equal distribution of electric charge along the length of a rod. This means that the charge density is constant throughout the rod.

Why is uniform charge across a rod important?

Uniform charge across a rod is important because it allows for a simplified analysis of the electric field and potential due to the rod. This can be useful in various practical applications, such as in designing electrical circuits.

What factors affect the uniform charge distribution across a rod?

The main factors that affect the uniform charge distribution across a rod are the material of the rod, the surrounding electric field, and any external influences such as other nearby charged objects.

What are some methods for achieving uniform charge distribution across a rod?

One method for achieving uniform charge distribution across a rod is by using a process called corona discharge, which involves the use of a high voltage source to ionize the air around the rod and create a uniform charge distribution. Another method is by using a conductive coating on the surface of the rod to ensure equal charge distribution.

What are the limitations of achieving uniform charge distribution across a rod?

Achieving perfect uniform charge distribution across a rod is not always possible due to various factors such as irregularities in the material of the rod or external influences. Additionally, the presence of other nearby charged objects can also affect the uniformity of the charge distribution on the rod.