1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform convergence of a series of functions

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove:
    (1) the series
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n x^n (1-x)[/tex]
    converges absolutely and uniformly on the interval [0,1]

(2) the series
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n (1-x)[/tex]
    converges absolutely and uniformly on the interval [0,1]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have shown, by induction, that the limiting function of the second series is 1 - xn+1, which goes to 1. Thus the series of functions converges (absolutely, since all values are positive) but is 0 at x = 1, so thus not continuous. Therefore, the convergence of the second series is not uniform. However, this also shows that the first series converges absolutely.

Where I am stuck is with uniform convergence of the first series. Using partial sums I was able to show that the series converges to (1-x)/(1+x), but how do I show this is uniform? I don't think it's enough to say that the limiting function is continuous in the given interval.

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track or what I can use to prove uniform convergence? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2
    Let [tex]\epsilon \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Show that for all [tex]\epsilon > 1[/tex], [tex]\sum_n \left ( {-1 \over \epsilon} \right ) (\epsilon x)^n (1-x)[/tex] satisfies Abel's Uniform Convergence Test.

4. Aug 6, 2008 #3
    I'm afraid I don't quite understand your restatement of series. Is it missing a power of n on the first term?

If that's the case, then I believe I need to show the following:
    1. [tex]{( \epsilon x)^n } [/tex] is uniformly bounded and eventually monotonic.
    2. [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty {\left(\frac{1}{\epsilon}\right)}^n (1-x) [/tex] converges uniformly

Is this correct? Thanks.

5. Aug 8, 2008 #4
    Let me try this:

I claim:
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^N (-1)^n x^n (1-x) = (1-x) \frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}[/tex]
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n x^n (1-x) = \frac{1-x}{1+x}[/tex]

If the first converges uniformly to the second, then as n goes to infinity:
    [tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| \rightarrow 0[/tex]

This is true since:
    [tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| =
    \left| \frac{(1-x)}{1+x} (-1) (-x)^{N+1}\right| = (x)^{N+1} \left| \frac{(1-x)}{1+x}\right| \rightarrow 0 (1) = 0[/tex]

Hence the series converges uniformly. Can anyone validate this or pick out a problem with it? Thanks.

6. Aug 13, 2008 #5
    Not to bump this thread but I think I have a better solution now:
    [tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| = \frac{1 - x}{1 + x} \left| -(-x)^{N+1} \right| = \frac{1 - x}{1 + x}(x)^{N+1} \leq (1-x)x^{N+1}[/tex]

Keeping in mind that we are on the interval [0,1], we can take the derivative of the last function and, setting it equal to 0, find the the function has a maximum value at x=(N+1)/(N+2). Thus,

[tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| \leq (1-x)x^{N+1} \leq (1- \frac{N+1}{N+2})(\frac{N+1}{N+2})^{N+1} \leq \frac{1}{N+2}[/tex]

Then this is less than any arbitrary epsilon if
    [tex]N > \frac{1}{\epsilon} - 2[/tex]

Since N does not depend on the choice of x, this convergence is uniform.

I think this is the right idea but I'd appreciate any comments or validations. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?