Uniform convergence of a series of functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
linearfish
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove:
(1) the series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n x^n (1-x)[/tex]
converges absolutely and uniformly on the interval [0,1]

(2) the series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n (1-x)[/tex]
converges absolutely and uniformly on the interval [0,1]

The Attempt at a Solution


I have shown, by induction, that the limiting function of the second series is 1 - xn+1, which goes to 1. Thus the series of functions converges (absolutely, since all values are positive) but is 0 at x = 1, so thus not continuous. Therefore, the convergence of the second series is not uniform. However, this also shows that the first series converges absolutely.

Where I am stuck is with uniform convergence of the first series. Using partial sums I was able to show that the series converges to (1-x)/(1+x), but how do I show this is uniform? I don't think it's enough to say that the limiting function is continuous in the given interval.

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track or what I can use to prove uniform convergence? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]\epsilon \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Show that for all [tex]\epsilon > 1[/tex], [tex]\sum_n \left ( {-1 \over \epsilon} \right ) (\epsilon x)^n (1-x)[/tex] satisfies Abel's Uniform Convergence Test.
 
I'm afraid I don't quite understand your restatement of series. Is it missing a power of n on the first term?

If that's the case, then I believe I need to show the following:
1. [tex]{( \epsilon x)^n }[/tex] is uniformly bounded and eventually monotonic.
2. [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty {\left(\frac{1}{\epsilon}\right)}^n (1-x)[/tex] converges uniformly

Is this correct? Thanks.
 
Let me try this:

I claim:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^N (-1)^n x^n (1-x) = (1-x) \frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n x^n (1-x) = \frac{1-x}{1+x}[/tex]

If the first converges uniformly to the second, then as n goes to infinity:
[tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| \rightarrow 0[/tex]

This is true since:
[tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| =<br /> \left| \frac{(1-x)}{1+x} (-1) (-x)^{N+1}\right| = (x)^{N+1} \left| \frac{(1-x)}{1+x}\right| \rightarrow 0 (1) = 0[/tex]

Hence the series converges uniformly. Can anyone validate this or pick out a problem with it? Thanks.
 
Not to bump this thread but I think I have a better solution now:
[tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| = \frac{1 - x}{1 + x} \left| -(-x)^{N+1} \right| = \frac{1 - x}{1 + x}(x)^{N+1} \leq (1-x)x^{N+1}[/tex]

Keeping in mind that we are on the interval [0,1], we can take the derivative of the last function and, setting it equal to 0, find the the function has a maximum value at x=(N+1)/(N+2). Thus,

[tex]\left| (1-x) \left(\frac{1 - (-x)^{N+1}}{1+x}-\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\right| \leq (1-x)x^{N+1} \leq (1- \frac{N+1}{N+2})(\frac{N+1}{N+2})^{N+1} \leq \frac{1}{N+2}[/tex]

Then this is less than any arbitrary epsilon if
[tex]N > \frac{1}{\epsilon} - 2[/tex]

Since N does not depend on the choice of x, this convergence is uniform.

I think this is the right idea but I'd appreciate any comments or validations. Thanks.