Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform convergence of integrable functions

1. Apr 10, 2006 #1
    This question arised in my last math class:

If a sequence of functions [tex]f_n[/tex] uniformly converges to some [tex]f[/tex] on [tex](a, b)[/tex] (bounded) and all [tex]f_n[/tex] are integrable on [tex](a, b)[/tex], does this imply that [tex]f[/tex] is also integrable on [tex](a, b)[/tex] ??
    ([tex]f_n[/tex] do not necessarily have to be continous, if they were, the answer would be obvious)

Note: It is not certain, which type of integral is meant, it can be Newton, Riemann or Lebesgue. Let me please know if the answer depends on which type of integral is used.

- If it is true, could you please tell me where (on www) I might find a proof??
    - If it is not true, could you please show me a sequence for which it is not true??

Thanks a lot, H.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An easy way to see Riemann integrability is to note that if fn is continuous at x for all n, then f is continuous at x. Therefore, a discontinuity point of f must be a discontinuity point of some fn (the converse need not be true). Thus, the set of discontinuity points of f is contained in the union of the discontinuity points of the fn. For each fn, the set of discontinuity points is a zero set (assuming Riemann integrability), so the set of discontinuity points of f is contained in the countable union of zero sets, hence is contained in a zero set, hence is a zero set, so f is Riemann integrable.

Lebesgue integrability is preserved as well, I believe. Try looking up the Lebesgue dominated convergence theorem.
  4. Apr 11, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, precisely, do you mean by "Newton" integrable? I don't recognise that term.
  5. Apr 11, 2006 #4
    Maybe there is s different name for that in english. What I know as Newton's integral is this:
    if a function f is defined on (a,b) and there exists some F such that [tex]F'(x) = f(x)[/tex] for all x from (a,b) (in other words - the function F is an antiderivative of f on (a,b) ) then Newton's integral of f over (a,b), denoted as
    is defined as
    [tex]\lim_{x\to b-}F(x)-\lim_{x\to a+}F(x)[/tex].

So what I call "Newton integrable" is:
    - function must have an antiderivative
    - the limits (above) of the antiderivative must exist
    - the expression with the limits (above) must be well defined (not [tex]\infty -\infty[/tex] etc.)

As for my previous question: of all discontinous functions [tex]f_n[/tex] have antiderivatives, does their uniform limit [tex]f[/tex] also have an antiderivative?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?