1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Convergence Proof (new question)

1. Jul 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the sequence [tex] f_n(x) = x^{\frac{2^n-1}{2^n}} [/tex] converges uniformly in the interval [0,1].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First notice that the f_n do converge to f(x) = x for all x in [0,1]. By definition, if for every positive epsilon the difference [tex] x^{\frac{2^n - 1}{2^n}} - x [/tex] (this difference is positive so I omitted the absolute value signs) can be made smaller than epsilon for ALL x in the interval at the same time, provided n is sufficiently large, then we say the f_n converge uniformly to f.

The maximum value for the function [tex] g(x) = x^{\frac{2^n - 1}{2^n}} - x [/tex] in the interval [0,1] occurs when [tex] x = (1 - \frac{1}{2^n})^{2^n} [/tex].

Let M denote the x value at which g attains its maximum in [0,1]. Then after some algebraic manipulation (it's going to be very messy to show, please assume the algebra is right for this step) we can write
    [tex] g(M) = (1 - \frac{1}{2^n}})^{2^n - 1}(\frac{1}{2^n}) < \frac{1}{2^n} [/tex].

Now, since g(M) is the maximum of g, we can write [tex] x^{\frac{2^n - 1}{2^n}} - x < g(M) < \frac{1}{2^n} [/tex] where the inequality holds for all x in [0,1]. Since the right hand side goes to 0 for increasing n, and is greater than f_n(x) - f(x) for all x in [0,1] at the same time, it follows the sequence converges uniformly.

This is the first time I have proved anything about uniform continuity, so I am not sure if my method was correct. It may be overcomplicated, but does the proof hold?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2009 #2
    I just checked your algebra for you, and it's all good. Nice work! By the way, once you show that |g(M)| < 1/(2^n), and that 1/(2^n) -> 0 as n -> 0, you're basically done. Also, finding the maximum of |f_n(x) - f(x)| is a good way of verifying uniform convergence.

4. Jul 31, 2009 #3
    Thanks for checking it! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook