1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform distribution Probability

1. Dec 17, 2013 #1
    John is going to eat at at McDonald's. The time of his arrival is uniformly distributed between 6PM and 7PM and it takes him 15 minutes to eat. Mary is also going to eat at McDonald's. The time of her arrival is uniformly distributed between 6:30PM and 7:15PM and it takes her 25 minutes to eat. Suppose the times of their two arrivals are independent of each other. What is the probability that there will be some time that they are both at McDonald's, i.e. their times at McDonald's overlap.

So let T= John's arrival time
    and
    S=Mary's arrival time

I don't really know where to go from here. Can anyone provide hints in the correct direction?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe try to find the probability that the times do not overlap. This can happen one of two ways: either John leaves before Mary arrives, or John arrives after Mary leaves. What are the probabilities of these two events?

4. Dec 17, 2013 #3
    Thank you. I'm a bit confused on how to find the density function, though.
    For John, I'm guessing f(t)=1/60 for 0<t<60 and 0 otherwise
    For Mary, g(s)=1/45 for 30<s<75 ?
    Or is that completely off?

5. Dec 17, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If t represents the number of minutes after 6:00, then, yes, those are correct.

6. Dec 17, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and if those functions are the density functions of the arrival times, as opposed to representing the probabilities of being present at time t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted