1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform elecric fields- force and kinetic energy

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1
    what is the effect on the force as well as the gain in kinetic energy if the separation of the conducting plates is increased?

I'm thinking that since F= VQ/d if the distance increases then the force would decrease. I could be wrong.

Since, the gain in KE is equivalent to the work done =Fd and since F decreases (I assume) then the KE would also decrease.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2
    The stored energy in a capacitor is

W = (1/2)CV2= (1/2)Q2/C = (1/2)xQ2/e0A
    where x = separation and A = area.
    So Fx= (dW/dx)= (1/2)Q2/e0A
    So if Q is an invariant, the force is independent of separation.
    Also Fx = dW/dx = d/dx(1/2)CV2=(1/2)e0AV2 d/dx(1/x)= -(1/2)e0AV2/x2
    where V is held constant.
    Bob S

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3
    sorry, i didn't specify. I was referring to, say, a particle being released at the upper plate of horizontal parallel conducting plates. (in a vacuum)

5. Nov 25, 2009 #4
    In this case, Q=CV
    so V = Q/C = Qd/e0A
    where A = area and d the separation
    so if Q = constant, and d is increased, the voltage between the plates increases linearly.

One way to generate high voltage between the plates is to charge them up when d is small, then separate the two plates.
    Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook