Uniform elecric fields- force and kinetic energy

In summary, a particle with a mass of 3x10^-12kg and a charge of +4.0x10^-14C is released between two horizontal parallel conducting plates in a vacuum. The net force on the particle can be calculated by adding the electric force and weight. The KE of the particle when it reaches the lower plate can be determined using the work done formula. If the separation between the plates is increased, the force and KE of the particle will decrease due to a lower electric field strength and increased distance traveled.
chanderjeet

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 3x 10^-12kg carrying a charge of +4.0x 10^-14C is released at the upper plate of a pair of horizontal parallel conducting plates placed in a vacuum.

Homework Equations

(1) Calculate the net force on the particle: I added the electric force VQ/d and the weight W=mg
(2) Calculate the KE of the particle when it reaches the lower plate: work done =gain in KE= Fd
(3) Explain the effect on force and the KE if the separation of the plates is increased. (this I'm not sure about)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that since F= VQ/d if the distance increases then the force would decrease. I could be wrong.

Since, the gain in KE is equivalent to the work done =Fd and since F decreases (I assume) then the KE would also decrease. Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
chanderjeet said:
I'm thinking that since F= VQ/d if the distance increases then the force would decrease. I could be wrong.
Yup, you are right. Assuming that the potential difference between the plates remains the same, the larger the plate separation, the lower the electric field strength (and electric force consequently)
chanderjeet said:
Since, the gain in KE is equivalent to the work done =Fd and since F decreases (I assume) then the KE would also decrease. Am I wrong?
You forgot that the distance traveled by the particle, which is the distance between the two plates, also increases.

ohh, i did miss that. Thanks very much

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a type of electric field where the magnitude and direction of the electric field are constant throughout the region. This means that the electric field lines are parallel and evenly spaced.

2. How does an object experience force in a uniform electric field?

When an object with a charge is placed in a uniform electric field, it experiences a force due to the electric field. This force is equal to the product of the charge and the electric field strength. The direction of the force is determined by the direction of the electric field and the sign of the charge.

3. How is the force in a uniform electric field related to the kinetic energy of an object?

The force experienced by an object in a uniform electric field can change the kinetic energy of the object. This is because the force can accelerate or decelerate the object, changing its speed and therefore its kinetic energy.

4. Can the direction of an object's motion be changed in a uniform electric field?

Yes, the direction of an object's motion can be changed in a uniform electric field. This is because the force on the object depends on the direction of the electric field, and can therefore change the direction of the object's motion.

5. How is the kinetic energy of an object affected when it moves in a uniform electric field?

The kinetic energy of an object can change when it moves in a uniform electric field. If the object moves in the same direction as the electric field, the kinetic energy will increase. If the object moves in the opposite direction of the electric field, the kinetic energy will decrease. If the object moves perpendicular to the electric field, the kinetic energy will remain constant.