1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniformly Charged Circular Sector problem (Electrostatics)

1. Jul 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I am having problems trying to solve an electrostatics question. Basically there are two circular sectors of radius R and with angle 2β. Both of these sectors have their vertices at the same point in the xy plane (ie at the origin) but have a separation d in the z axis. Also the displaced from one another by an angle in the xy plane of α. Both of these are equally but oppositely charged with a uniform surface charge density σ.

Given this, find the rotational component of the force between these sectors (ie if you where using cylindrical co-ordinates the θ component

2. Relevant equations

b7c736dbf1124dead466554152d29642.png

53b51b40e41bc1e714223d0eda4d5773.png

3. The attempt at a solution

Differential charge in cylindirical co-ords is;

dq = σ*ρ*d[itex]\varphi[/itex]*dρ

E = ∫∫ ke**ρ*d[itex]\varphi[/itex]*dρ/z^2 + ρ^2 (sin^2([itex]\varphi[/itex]) + cos^2([itex]\varphi[/itex]) r(hat)

After this i get stuck, I can't resolve this into the different cylindrical components
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This looks like the old-fashioned type of radio variable capacitor!

I would approach this problem from an energy viewpoint:

what is the E field between the section of the two sectors opposite each other? Ignore fringing effects.

then: assume α > 0 , what is the energy content of the electric field?
    then: moving one of the sectors to α = 0, what is the change in energy content of the E field?

Equate the change in energy to the work done to turn the sector thru the angle α. BTW I think the answer should be a torque, not a force, unless you want to assume the force is applied at radius = R.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted