1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniformly charged disk and the E field some distance Z from the center

1. Jan 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi,

I have a problem that describes a uniformly charged disk and the electric field a distance z from the center.

I have found an equation that describes the E field at any point z already. Now I have to find out how the E field decreases as z increases-- as 1/r^2, I assume, but I am not sure.

2. Relevant equations

E = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]kσz(1-[itex]\frac{z}{\sqrt{z^{2}+R^{2}}}[/itex]) where R is the radius of the disk and z is the distance away from the disk.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I have to do a binomial expansion of (R/z). I think I am having mathematical issues rather than physical issues.

Before the expansion, I need to get some term (R/z). Does taking out a z^{2) from the denominator leave a z^{4} out front? Or a z^{3} out front? If I can figure this out then I know the rest.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\sqrt{z^2+R^2} = \sqrt{z^2(1+(R/z)^2)}## and ##\sqrt{(a b)} = \sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}##

4. Jan 23, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe you must have a typo in this expression. The dimensions on the right do not match the dimensions of electric field.

5. Jan 23, 2013 #4
    Good catch: The expression should be E = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]kσ(1-[itex]\frac{z}{\sqrt{z^{2}+R^{2}}}[/itex]).

So, the denominator of the last term can be rewritten as z[itex]\sqrt{1-(R^{2}/z^{2})}[/itex]. After a binomial expansion, I got that the E field decreases as 1/z.

6. Jan 26, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think that's correct. Check your binomial expansion simplification. Your original idea that the disk should behave as a point charge for large distances is right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook