1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unique factoring over E-Primes criteria

1. Jan 18, 2016 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let E denote the set of positive even integers. An element p ∈ E is called an E-prime if p cannot be written as a product of two elements of E. Determine a simple criteria for when elements of E can be uniquely factored into a product of E-primes.

2. Relevant equations
    Some E-primes from my understanding: 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50
    Some terms that can be uniquely factored into e-primes: 4, 12, 20, 28, 44, 52

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've spent much more time on this problem then I should have.

I can clearly see that all terms that can be uniquely factored into e-primes must be divisible by 4.
    It seems like there is a common ratio of 8 between terms until we get to terms 36 and 60. 36 can be factored into 6*6 and 18*2 while 60 can be factored into 6*10 and 30*2. So these are clearly not unique.

All the terms that can be uniquely factored can not be divisible by 8, that makes sense since 8 = 4*2.

But beyond this, I don't really know what it means by criteria? Should I spit out an equation like 4+8n for n=all integers except 4,7,10,13,...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have established that an e-prime is divisible by 4 and not divisible by 8.
    So if e is an e-prime, e=2².f, where f is an odd number.
    What condition(s) does f have to satisfy in order for the factoring to be unique? What can you tell about the prime factors of f?

4. Jan 18, 2016 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Well, the terms that can be factored into e-primes are divisible by 4 and not divisible by 8.
    The e-primes are not divisible by 8 as well, but can not be divisible by 4.

I'm not quite sure this holds. Let's see, E-primes are: 6, 10, 14, 18, but that doesn't quite fit into the equation.

:/

5. Jan 18, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I was wrong, sorry.

An e-prime e=2.f, where f is odd.
    A product of two e-primes is 4.f.g (f and g odd).
    How can you guarantee that this factoring in e-primes is unique?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  6. Jan 18, 2016 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

That makes a lot of sense to me.

So since we can define an e-prime to be e = 2*f where f is odd.
    And we see that the produce of two eprimes is e*e = 2*f*2*g = 4*f*g

We can guarantee that this factoring is unique when f or g is a prime number and the other is 1.

For example. If we were to let g and f both be prime numbers, say 7 and 5, then 4*7*5 = 140 which does NOT have a unique e-prime factorization as 2*70 (both eprimes) and 10*14 (both eprimes). So f and g can't both be prime numbers.
    Now, if we let one of them be prime and the other be, even this also doesn't work. Take for example 13*4*2 we get 104 which does NOT have a unique e-prime factorization.

So in conclusion,
    products of two eprimes occur when 4*f*g where f is a prime number and g is 1. or more simply, 4*f where f is a prime number.

7. Jan 18, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good. f can also be 1.

8. Jan 18, 2016 #7

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Indeed! Thank you for your help, Samy_A.

9. Jan 18, 2016 #8

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are welcome. Sorry for the confusion in my first post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted