Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unique skull found by river, Anybody recognize?

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    Unique skull found by river, Anybody recognize??

I live in western Ma and found this by the Connecticut river one day...I was wondering if anybody could tell me what it might be from

IMG_3633.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2
    Re: Unique skull found by river, Anybody recognize??

your links are broken

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3

I fixed it. I have other pictures too if they may be helpful

5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

other pictures would be helpful, particularly from other angles. it is difficult to determine if it is a skull or another piece of bone from this image.

most skulls have opening other then the eye socket, and I don't immediately see that here.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. Sep 9, 2010 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

7. Sep 9, 2010 #6

turbo

Gold Member

No idea! The large saggital crest suggests a critter with strong jaws.

8. Sep 9, 2010 #7

the upper jaw seems too small for a strong bite though.

Any qualms if I share these with someone who is more likely to have specimens to compare with?

9. Sep 9, 2010 #8

I think it's a bird, looks a lot like loon skull (without a beak). But that sagittal crest is HUGE. Loons are among the few birds that have sagittal crests, but that seems too much even for them.

10. Sep 9, 2010 #9

Both the Opossum and the Fisher have large sagittal crest, much like the photo.

11. Sep 9, 2010 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I don't know what an opossum skull looks like, but a fisher skull is rather short an very powerful with sturdy jaws and lots of teeth. This skull looks like it could belong to a bird with attached (non-integral) beaks. Still at a loss though.

12. Sep 9, 2010 #11

Wrong muzzle shape for both the opossum and the fisher, though. The narrowing above the eye socket (clearly seen in IMG_3634.jpg) would be consistent with having salt glands, indicating a marine bird.

13. Sep 9, 2010 #12

I am not aware of any mammals that have a pronounced crest like that. In mammals, a large sagittal crest is a sign of large chewing muscles, yet what looks like the upper jaw seems to small for that.

A hornbill has a large crest, but it is rather thick and heavy vs. the thin one here, and it is in front of the eyes, vs. behind.

[PLAIN]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8532/rhinoplaxvigils.jpg [Broken]

A cassowary is another bird with a crest, but it too begins in front of the eyes and is a thick heavy crest.

[PLAIN]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6414/casuariscasuariss.jpg [Broken]

Neither one of them is good match for this skull in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Sep 9, 2010 #13
  15. Sep 9, 2010 #14

After going through this site,
    Code (Text):
    [PLAIN]http://www.skullsite.com/
    ,[/PLAIN] [Broken] there are a few bird species that do have any sort of bony crest, but none seem to be a match to this skull.

edit: Proton Soup, your post wasn't there when I replied, but seems we're thinking somewhat the same.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook