University is giving me ulcers They dropped the wrong class from my GPA

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student's frustration with their university's administration. They have experienced difficulties with exceptions for a family death and submitting a petition to drop a class. They are worried about a mistake made by the administration and have been unable to sleep due to stress. The conversation also includes advice to calm down and speak with an academic advisor for assistance. The overall message is that these types of issues can be resolved, and it's not worth losing sleep over.
MissSilvy
Once again, this stupid university is frustrating me beyond all end. First, I had a death in the family and missed two crucial weeks of a class. They make exceptions for family deaths and I retook the class, but then they decided to make me submit 'proof' that someone who was like a parent to me dying 'impacted [my] performance' in the class.

NOW I submitted a petition to drop a small one-credit honors section of a CS course, got the approval of the instructor and the department. The main class is four credits and I earned an A in that class. They sent me back an email and they approve my drop FOR THE MAIN CLASS! I hate the administration here. I'm worrying myself silly now. I sent them an email saying that there has been a mistake and how I could fix it but if they start dicking around and tell me that it can't be done or that I need to submit mounds of extra paperwork and hours of playing phone-tag, I'm going to cry. This always happens and I am so sick of working my *** off only to have to jump through hoops and beg for legitimate actions from this department. I'm so worried now that I've been trying to fall asleep for five and a half hours as of now and no luck :(

Physics news on Phys.org
:-(

ist2_1614570_milk_and_cookies.jpg

I'm so worried now that I've been trying to fall asleep for five and a half hours as of now and no luck :(

I had been wishing that for the past 5 hours, finally going to sleep now :biggrin: after failing to finish up some homework problems.

First things first, take a deep breath and calm down.

What you're experiencing is standard in academic administration departments. It seems they've just made a mistake with which class they've removed-- a problem that will likely be resolved by your email. Wait and see if you have a positive reply. If you don't then I would go to you academic advisor and ask for his/her advice. It's more than likely that they will be able to petition the admin dept for you, and thus resolve things quicker. It seems like lots of people on here with problems like this don't bother talking to their advisor. I would urge people to do more of this: that's what he/she is there for!

Finally, you should tell yourself that this really isn't that big of a deal. It will get sorted sometime in the future, and really isn't worth staying awake and worrying over!

Listen to cristo! The important thing is that somehow these types of mistakes always manage to get resolved, even if it takes extra paperwork. It's really not worth worrying a lot and giving yourself ulcers about.

1. Why did the university drop the wrong class from my GPA?

The university's system for calculating GPAs can be complex and mistakes can happen. It's possible that the wrong class was mistakenly dropped from your GPA. It's important to reach out to the university's administration to clarify the situation and request a correction if necessary.

2. Will this mistake affect my overall GPA?

If the wrong class was dropped from your GPA, it's possible that your overall GPA may be affected. However, this will depend on the weight of the class and your grades in other courses. It's important to address the situation with the university to ensure your GPA is being accurately calculated.

3. Can I appeal the decision to drop the wrong class from my GPA?

Yes, most universities have an appeals process for academic decisions. You can reach out to the university's administration or academic advising office to inquire about the process and submit an appeal if necessary. It's important to provide any relevant documentation or evidence to support your appeal.

4. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

To prevent mistakes like this from happening in the future, it's important to regularly monitor your academic records and GPA. If you notice any discrepancies or errors, reach out to the university's administration immediately to address the issue. It's also a good idea to keep all course syllabi and graded assignments in case you need to provide evidence in the future.

5. Will this mistake affect my graduation or future academic opportunities?

If the mistake is not corrected, it's possible that it could affect your graduation or future academic opportunities. However, if the mistake is addressed and corrected in a timely manner, it should not have a significant impact on your academic record. It's important to address the issue as soon as possible to avoid any potential complications.