University to study Computer Science

In summary, a Dutch high school student is planning to study Computer Science at university and is seeking advice on how to prepare for the program during the summer. Three recommended areas of study are math, introductory computer science topics, and programming, with specific resources provided for each. It is also noted that it is not necessary to spend the summer studying and taking a break is also acceptable.
Max.Planck
Hello,

I am a Dutch high school student. Next year I will be going to University to study Computer Science. This summer I want to prepare for this study. Which books/online courses will help me to have an advantage next year?

Thank you!

Max.Planck

Physics news on Phys.org

project euler if you're really motivated, but intro courses exist to get you up to speed for the real work.

My advice would be to do one or more of the following 3:

1) Computer science relies on mathematics and you will very likely need to take some math courses and will definitely need math in your CS courses. Thus one way to prepare is to brush up on your high school math, and possibly start doing some reading on university level math (primarily discrete mathematics, but probably also standard courses like the calculus sequence and linear algebra). Concrete Mathematics by Donald Knuth is a good book, but if you're not motivated to study math by yourself it will probably be hard. Donald Knuth is a great CS author (and computer scientist in general) so in the future you may also want to look at his other works.
2) Study introductory computer science topics. In particular you need to get a good grasp on algorithms and data structures. A good and very-widely used book is Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivset and Stein (this book is also known as CLRS after its authors). Another possible area would be an introduction to the theory of computation. A good book here is An introduction to the theory of computation by Michael Sipser; a superb book in my opinion, but I believe it's aimed at people with a little bit of mathematical maturity (it's usually not used in freshman courses). As a possible aid to CLRS you can use the video lectures at (based on the 2nd edition of the book):
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-046JFall-2005/CourseHome/index.htm
3) Study programming. Programming is a useful tool in studying computer science and you'll very likely do a fair bit of programming. I would recommend a fairly simple and clean language since what you want is to learn the concepts, not produce robust industry-level software yet. I really like Standard ML or Scheme. For Scheme a great book called The structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs is available online at:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
Also there are some classical (1986 I believe) video lectures available at (this is basically the intro to computer science course that has been given many years at MIT I believe, though i think they have switched to a different format these days):
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/
These are in my opinion pretty good. Most possible languages will suffice, but I would advice you to (at least) initially stay clear of languages like C, C++ and Fortran because you will spend most of your time learning technicalities and the pecularities of your language/development environment, but as a computer scientist you are more interested in the concepts that transcend the particular language. Once you can do some programming project Euler is a fun site where you can do small programming/logic puzzles.
Another introductory CS/programming book that I have heard great things about, but not read myself is How to Design Programs which is freely available at:
http://www.htdp.org/

Remember however that the university does not expect you to use your summer to study, and you should only do preparation such as this if you actually enjoy it. No shame in taking a break before starting 3-years of study (I assume a Dutch bachelors degree is 3 years though I'm not entirely sure).

Thanks for the detailed information! Yeah, I wanted to do something usefull this summer and I really enjoy programming. (Bachelors degree is 3 years indeed)

Hello Max.Planck,

Congratulations on your decision to pursue a degree in Computer Science! It's an exciting and constantly evolving field that offers many opportunities for growth and innovation.

To prepare for your studies, I recommend starting with the basics of computer programming. Some popular languages used in Computer Science include Java, Python, and C++. You can find numerous online resources and courses for these languages, such as Codeacademy, Udemy, and Coursera. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with data structures and algorithms will also be beneficial for your future studies.

In terms of books, "Introduction to Algorithms" by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, and Stein is a highly recommended text for learning about algorithms. "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie is a classic book for learning the basics of C programming. "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes is a great resource for learning Python.

I also suggest exploring different areas of Computer Science, such as artificial intelligence, data science, and web development, to see which areas interest you the most. This will help you choose electives and focus your studies in the future.

Best of luck in your studies and future career in Computer Science!

Sincerely,

1. What is computer science?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including their theory, design, development, and application. It involves the use of algorithms, programming languages, and software development to solve complex problems and create innovative solutions.

2. What can I do with a degree in computer science?

A degree in computer science can lead to a variety of career opportunities, such as software engineer, web developer, data analyst, systems analyst, and computer scientist. It can also open doors to industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and government.

3. What skills do I need to study computer science?

To study computer science, you will need strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as a strong foundation in mathematics and logic. It is also helpful to have a passion for technology and a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new developments in the field.

4. Is computer science a difficult major?

Computer science can be a challenging major, as it requires a strong understanding of complex algorithms, programming languages, and software development. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a manageable and rewarding field of study.

5. What should I look for in a university to study computer science?

When considering a university to study computer science, you should look for a program that offers a strong curriculum, experienced faculty, and opportunities for hands-on learning through internships or research projects. It is also important to consider the university's facilities and resources, as well as its reputation in the field of computer science.