1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unknown distances, constant speed, average velocity

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car travels along a straight line at a constant speed of 48.5 mi/h for distance d and then another distance d in the same direction at another constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is 30.5mi/h.

a) What is the constant speed with which the car moved during the second distance d?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that speed = distance/ delta time, and that velocity = displacement/ delta time

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only formula that I thought might help was Xfinal = Xinitial + (1/2)(Vxinitial + Vxfinal)time but then I decided that it was a dumb formula to use and now I'm stuck :/ I can't seem to relate the constant speed and average velocity to each other the right way..

Please help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the equation for average velocity as a function of displacement and time? You are going to have to calculate the total time of the trip by summing the time it takes for each part of the trip at the different speeds. Some algebraic manipulation is involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook