Unleashing 1.8MJ in Just 1ns: The NIF's Power Per Pulse

  • Thread starter Thread starter VelvetRebel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Per Power Pulse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
VelvetRebel
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The NIF will use extremely powerful lasers to attempt to implode a D-T target and thus initiate nuclear fusion. One pulse of the lasers will only last for 1 nanosecond, but the total energy is expected to hit 1.8 megajoules. The wavelength is in the near ultraviolet, 350 nm.

What is the power per pulse?


2. The attempt at a solution
Ok I'm pretty sure I'm thinking way too much into this question or I'm just misinterpreting the question. For the power per pulse, would all it be is 1.8 megajoules/nanosecond? It just seems too simple to be that so I want to make sure. Any help is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the question is meaning 1.8 megajoules per pulse, then yes.