Unraveling the Mystery of Electrostatic Force in Honeybees

In summary, the conversation discussed the electrostatic charge of a honeybee in active flight and the force between two bees with this charge. Using Couloumb's equation and significant digits, the magnitude of the electrostatic force was determined to be 4*10^-9. However, using a graphing calculator and considering significant digits, the correct answer was found to be 3.94*10^-9.
eMac

Homework Statement

Measurements show that a honeybee in active flight can acquire an electrostatic charge on the order of 90.9 pC.
a)How many electrons much be transferred to produce this charge?
Ne =5.67*10^8

b) Supposing two bees, both with this charge, are separated by a distance of 14 cm. What is the magnitude of the electrostatic force between the these two bees? (You may treat the bees as point charges.)
FE= 4.0*10^-7 NO

Homework Equations

FE=k (q1) x (q2)/r2

k=8.99 x 10^9

90.9 pC = 9.09 * 10^-11 C

14 cm = .14 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a but I can't get part b

I used Couloumb's equation and...

FE = k (9.09*10^-11)^2 / (.14)^2

and I got 4*10^-9 but it doesn't work where am i going wrong on this problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In what way does 4*10^-9 "not work"?

Perhaps your significant digits are inadequate?

gneill said:
In what way does 4*10^-9 "not work"?

Perhaps your significant digits are inadequate?

I really don't know none of the answers I used worked out.

Do you know the correct answer?

Calculate the force with three significant digits. ehild

ehild said:
Calculate the force with three significant digits.

ehild

Thanks, it finally worked. I ended up having to use a graphing calc. to get to the significant digits. My scientific calc. was rounding, which is where my problem emerged. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that arises from the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is one of the four fundamental forces, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How do honeybees use electrostatic force?

Honeybees use electrostatic force as a means of communication and navigation. They generate an electric field on their body by flapping their wings, and this field helps them to locate flowers, communicate with other bees, and navigate back to their hive.

3. What is the role of electrostatic force in honeybee behavior?

The electrostatic force plays a crucial role in honeybee behavior. It helps them to communicate with each other, locate food sources, and navigate back to their hive. It also helps to keep the bees together in a swarm, as they are all connected by the electric field they generate.

4. How do scientists study electrostatic force in honeybees?

Scientists study electrostatic force in honeybees by observing their behavior and measuring their electric fields. They use specialized equipment such as electrostatic sensors to detect and measure the electric fields generated by the bees. They also conduct experiments to manipulate the electric fields and observe the effects on the bees' behavior.

5. What can we learn from unraveling the mystery of electrostatic force in honeybees?

Studying electrostatic force in honeybees can provide us with a better understanding of their behavior and communication methods. It may also help us to develop new techniques for beekeeping and pollination, as well as inspire new technologies for communication and navigation. Additionally, it can give us insights into the role of electrostatic force in other species and in our own lives.