1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating point charges and ratio of electrostatic force to weight

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Measurements show that a honeybee in active flight can acquire an electrostatic charge on the order of 93 pC.

a)How many electrons much be transferred to produce this charge?
    Ne = *
    b) Supposing two bees, both with this charge, are separated by a distance of 12 cm. What is the magnitude of the electrostatic force between the these two bees? (You may treat the bees as point charges.)
    FE= N *
    5.399e-9 OKc) What is ratio of this electrostatic force to the weight of 0.14 gm bee?
    FE/Fweight =
    3.783e-7 NO

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got through the first two parts, but in order to calculate the ratio of the electro static force to the weight I simply tried Fe/Fweight, 5.39e-9 / .00014 = 3.856e-13
    Is there a specific relationship between the forces that I should know before trying to proceed?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

Nope. They are completely different kinds of force (except for the fact that, in freshman physics, they both obey the inverse square law).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?