Unsteady state mass balance -- Draining of a tank

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylindrical tank with a diameter of Db and an orifice in the bottom with a diameter of Do. The speed of the fluid flowing through the orifice is given by v = √(2gh), where h is the height of the liquid measured from the bottom of the tank. The task is to calculate the amount of liquid spilled in 10 minutes (600 seconds) when h0 = 2 m, Db = 1 m, and Do = 0.01 m, with a constant flow of 0.001 m3/s entering the tank. The conversation includes a solution attempt using a sketch and equations, as well as a discussion on potential errors and alternative methods of solving
MexChemE

Homework Statement

A cylindrical tank, with a diameter Db, open to the atmosphere, is drained through an orifice in the bottom of the tank with a diameter Do. The speed of the fluid flowing through the orifice is given by [itex]v = \sqrt{2gh}[/itex], where h is the height of the liquid measured from the bottom of the tank.
Calculate the amount of liquid spilled in 10 minutes (600 seconds), when h0 = 2 m, Db = 1 m, and Do = 0.01 m. The tank is also fed with a constant flow of 0.001 m3 s-1.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dm}{dt} = \dot{m}_{in} - \dot{m}_{out}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched an schematic diagram of the problem, which I attached below. First, since I'm dealing with a pure substance I went ahead and skipped the mass balance and instead started from the dummy volume "balance."
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = Q_1 - Q_2[/tex]
But V = Abh and Q2 = Aov. Also, [itex]v = \sqrt{2gh}[/itex], so:
[tex]A_b \frac{dh}{dt} = Q_1 - A_o \sqrt{2gh}[/tex]
Separating variables and integrating:
[tex]\int_{h_0}^h \frac{dh}{\sqrt{h}} = \left( \frac{Q_1}{A_b} - \frac{A_o}{A_b} \sqrt{2g} \right) \int_0^t dt[/tex]
Yields:
[tex]h = \left( \sqrt{h_0} + 0.5 \left( \frac{Q_1}{A_b} - \frac{A_o}{A_b} \sqrt{2g} \right) t \right)^2[/tex]
Now, calculating both areas yields Ab = 0.785 m2 and Ao = 7.854x10-5 m2. This is where trouble begins. Plugging all given values into h(t) yields h = 2.767 m. I would normally calculate the volume of spilled liquid with:
[tex]V_{\textrm{spilled}} = A_b (h_0 - h)[/tex]
But plugging in these values yields a negative result. Obviously the amount of liquid entering the tank is greater than the amount flowing out, but then, how does one measure the amount of the spilled liquid only? Also, I'm assuming unlimited tank capacity. I tried integrating the exiting flow:
[tex]V_{\textrm{spilled}} = \int_0^{600} Q(t) dt = A_o \sqrt{2g} \int_0^{600} \sqrt{h}(t) \ dt[/tex]
But it yielded the same negative result. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,133
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With my crude spreadsheet approximation I get 0.3 m3

Likes MexChemE
MexChemE said:
Separating variables and integrating:

You seem to have a math error here at this step. I don't get your expression

rollingstein said:
With my crude spreadsheet approximation I get 0.3 m3
Yes, the given solution was approximately 0.36 m3, IIRC.

rollingstein said:
You seem to have a math error here at this step. I don't get your expression
I've just realized the mistake I made. I did a similar problem earlier where there was no flow entering the tank so you could just divide the whole equation by h0.5 in order to separate variables. I just did the same move mechanically without noticing this:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{h}} \frac{dh}{dt} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{h}} \frac{Q_1}{A_b} - \frac{A_o}{A_b} \sqrt{2g}[/tex]
This equation is not separable. I will try with the integrating factor method tomorrow. Thanks for your insight!

Edit: Wait, I just noticed I can't solve it by integrating factor either. Maybe Laplace transform?

Last edited:
MexChemE said:
Edit: Wait, I just noticed I can't solve it by integrating factor either. Maybe Laplace transform?

Would this help?

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP7781hc41d1423ia76fd000068i13i36gd2hf2b0?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=53&w=337.&h=41.

Last edited by a moderator:
rollingstein said:
Would this help?
I couldn't manage to rearrange my equation as shown in the integral above, what I did was to linearize the following DE using a first-order Taylor series expansion, with a = 2:
[tex]\frac{dh}{dt} + \frac{A_o}{A_b} \sqrt{2g} \sqrt{h} = \frac{Q_1}{A_b}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{h} = \sqrt{2} + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} (h-2)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dh}{dt} + \frac{A_o}{A_b} \sqrt{2g} \left(\sqrt{2} + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} (h-2) \right) = \frac{Q_1}{A_b}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dh}{dt} + 0.5 \frac{A_o}{A_b} \sqrt{g} \ h = \frac{Q_1}{A_b} - \frac{A_o}{A_b} \sqrt{g}[/tex]
Letting:
[tex]G = 0.5 \frac{A_o}{A_b} \sqrt{g}[/tex]
[tex]K = \frac{Q_1}{A_b} - \frac{A_o}{A_b} \sqrt{g}[/tex]
We arrive at a much simpler first-order linear DE, which I decided to solve by Laplace transform because my LTs were rusty and I wanted to review them:
[tex]\frac{dh}{dt} + Gh = K[/tex]
[tex]sH(s) -2 + GH(s) = K \frac{1}{s}[/tex]
[tex]H(s) = K \left( \frac{1}{s(s-(-G))} \right) + 2 \left( \frac{1}{s-(-G)} \right)[/tex]
Using partial fractions:
[tex]\frac{1}{s(s-(-G))} = \frac{1}{G} \left(\frac{1}{s} \right) - \frac{1}{G} \left( \frac{1}{s-(-G)} \right)[/tex]
[tex]H(s) = \frac{K}{G} \left(\frac{1}{s} \right) + \left( 2- \frac{K}{G} \right) \left( \frac{1}{s-(-G)} \right)[/tex]
Applying inverse LT:
[tex]h = \frac{K}{G} + \left(2- \frac{K}{G} \right) e^{-Gt}[/tex]
Now, calculating the constants yields G = 1.5668x10-4, K = 9.6052x10-4, and K/G = 6.1305. Plugging in these values and t = 600 s into h(t) yields h = 2.371 m. If I calculate the volume of spilled liquid using the formula [itex]V_{\textrm{spilled}} = A_b (h_0 - h)[/itex] I get the same result as you did, but negative: -0.3 m3. Am I missing something? Would it work if I drew a control volume in the bottom orifice and set up a new volume balance, taking into account the correct function for h, the one I derived in this post? That would yield the same result but positive, right?
MexChemE said:
Yes, the given solution was approximately 0.36 m3, IIRC.
The given solution was actually 0.306 m3, so we're pretty close.

MexChemE said:
I couldn't manage to rearrange my equation as shown in the integral above,

Take all terms including h to the denominator of the left hand side. Then divide both Numerator & Denominator by Ao * sqrt ( 2g)

rollingstein said:
Take all terms including h to the denominator of the left hand side. Then divide both Numerator & Denominator by Ao * sqrt ( 2g)
Let's see:
[tex]\frac{A_b}{Q_1 - A_o \sqrt{2gh}} \frac{dh}{dt} = 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{ \frac{A_b}{A_o \sqrt{2g}}}{\frac{Q_1}{A_o \sqrt{2g}} - \sqrt{h}} \frac{dh}{dt} = 1[/tex]
Letting:
[tex]E = \frac{A_b}{A_o \sqrt{2g}}[/tex]
[tex]Z = \frac{Q_1}{A_o \sqrt{2g}}[/tex]
[tex]E \int_{h_0=2}^h \frac{dh}{Z - \sqrt{h}} = \int_{t=0}^t dt[/tex]
After integrating and some algebra:
[tex]\sqrt{h} - Z \ln (Z+ \sqrt{h}) = \frac{t}{2E} + \sqrt{2} - Z \ln (Z+ \sqrt{2})[/tex]
Now, I really have no idea how to solve for h, I've been juggling for a while with logarithms and anti-logs, but haven't got anywhere. Thanks for all your insight so far, rollingstein!

1. What is unsteady state mass balance?

Unsteady state mass balance is a mathematical model used to describe the flow of a substance in and out of a system over time. It takes into account changes in the system's properties, such as the concentration of the substance, and the rate of flow in and out of the system.

2. How does draining of a tank affect the mass balance?

Draining of a tank affects the mass balance by changing the amount of substance in the tank over time. As the tank is drained, the concentration of the substance in the tank decreases, leading to changes in the inflow and outflow rates.

3. What factors influence the unsteady state mass balance during draining of a tank?

The main factors that influence the unsteady state mass balance during draining of a tank include the initial concentration of the substance, the volume of the tank, the flow rate of the substance in and out of the tank, and any external factors that may affect the system, such as temperature or pressure changes.

4. How is unsteady state mass balance used in real-world applications?

Unsteady state mass balance is commonly used in the chemical and environmental engineering fields to model and predict the behavior of substances in various systems, such as water treatment plants, chemical reactors, and pollution control systems. It is also used in research and development to optimize processes and design new systems.

5. What are the limitations of unsteady state mass balance?

Some limitations of unsteady state mass balance include the assumption of ideal conditions, which may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios, and the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. Additionally, the model may not account for all variables and can only provide an estimate of the system's behavior rather than exact measurements.