Updating your BIOS and motherboard drivers

• Thread starter SootAndGrime
  • Start date
In summary: UEFI which is basically a GUI bios, updating bios using those shouldn't be too difficult.Most common reason to update motherboard bios is when you bought a new CPU released by the manufacturer after the motherboard is manufactured. Then the motherboard manufacturer will likely have to release a bios update to ensure compatibility of the new CPU, assuming the sockets match.For older motherboards you probably need a 3.5inch, some may support USB, they should be reasonably well explained in your motherboard manuals.
SootAndGrime
I downloaded the latest BIOS and driver updates for my motherboard and I can't figure out how to install them. They aren't applications or executable files.

How do I go about installing them?

Is there any performance boost from updating your BIOS/motherboard drivers?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If the drivers aren't executables, they should be .INF files that you can use with device manager to update the driver. I'm not sure how you're supposed to update the BIOS without an executable. On older systems, a jumper could be used to update the BIOS from a floppy drive, but new motherboards don't support floppy drives.

There should be executable versions for chipset drivers and BIOS updates at the same site you downloaded the other drivers for your motherboard from.

You didn't mention what motherboard you have.

typically bios updates do not affect performance boost. Unless you are a hardcore overclocker that require specific settings (PLL voltage options for example) otherwise you won't really notice any differences.

most common reason to update motherboard bios is when you bought a new CPU released by the manufacturer after the motherboard is manufactured. Then the motherboard manufacturer will likely have to release a bios update to ensure compatibility of the new CPU, assuming the sockets match.

back to your question of updating bios, newer motherboards may have UEFI which is basically a GUI bios, updating bios using those shouldn't be too difficult.

For older motherboards you probably need a 3.5inch, some may support USB, they should be reasonably well explained in your motherboard manuals

rcgldr said:
If the drivers aren't executables, they should be .INF files that you can use with device manager to update the driver. I'm not sure how you're supposed to update the BIOS without an executable. On older systems, a jumper could be used to update the BIOS from a floppy drive, but new motherboards don't support floppy drives.

There should be executable versions for chipset drivers and BIOS updates at the same site you downloaded the other drivers for your motherboard from.

You didn't mention what motherboard you have.

I have an MSI Big Bang X58 mobo

I downloaded the latest BIOS/drivers for it off the official website, but the file isn't an executable or application.

SootAndGrime said:
I have an MSI Big Bang X58 mobo
I downloaded the latest BIOS/drivers for it off the official website, but the file isn't an executable or application.
I checked the web site. You specify which OS you use (windows 7, vista, xp, 32 bit, 64 bit, ...) then you download a zip file. You should be able to open the zip file just like a folder. Then you can copy the files to a temp folder. The files inside the folder include setup.exe, which you run to install a driver or to update the BIOS.

1. What is BIOS and why is it important to update it?

BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System. It is a set of software instructions that control the basic functions of a computer, such as booting up and accessing hardware components. It is important to update BIOS because it can fix bugs and improve system stability and performance.

2. How do I check my current BIOS version?

To check your current BIOS version, you can restart your computer and enter the BIOS setup by pressing a specific key (such as F2 or Del) during the boot process. The BIOS version will be displayed on the main screen.

3. How often should I update my BIOS and motherboard drivers?

It is generally recommended to only update your BIOS and motherboard drivers if you are experiencing issues with your system or if there is a new feature or hardware component that requires a specific update. Otherwise, it is not necessary to update them frequently.

4. What are the risks of updating BIOS and motherboard drivers?

Updating BIOS and motherboard drivers can potentially cause system instability or even render your computer unusable if not done properly. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and make sure you have the correct updates for your specific hardware.

5. Can I update my BIOS and motherboard drivers on my own?

Yes, you can update your BIOS and motherboard drivers on your own. However, it is important to do thorough research and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to avoid any potential risks. If you are not comfortable with updating them yourself, it is recommended to seek assistance from a professional.