Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows 10 Not recognizing Device (Android ZTE)

1. Jul 23, 2018 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    I am trying to transfer files from my ZTE971 Android into my Windows 10 PC.
    Problem is computer is not recognizing the Android when I plug it into the USB port.
    Strange, since it used to recognizing it without any problem just a few months back.
    I have checked in device manager, updating drivers for all USBs , unistalling, re-installing (.
    But, hey, that's what you get with Win10, it seems, my settings changed randomly.
    Any suggestions?
    upload_2018-7-23_11-16-38.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2018 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, you did all the things I would do.

Is is possible that the recent fight between ZTE and the US Government is involved? Do you have friends with ZTE phones that have the same problem?

4. Jul 23, 2018 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, good point. I guess I had not thought about that consequence. Will check.

5. Jul 23, 2018 #4

Tom.G

Science Advisor

At least some Android based devices need an app installed to talk over the USB. A recent update to the phone could have messed up this function... or at least as likely, a Windows update.

Good Luck! And please let us know what works.

6. Jul 24, 2018 #5
    Maybe the USB on the ZTE is in debug mode?

7. Jul 24, 2018 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. I am waiting to test someone else's USB. Will keep you all posted. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

8. Jul 25, 2018 #7

russ_watters

The USB port on the phonene has multiple modes. check to make sure it is connected for file transfer, not just charging.

9. Jul 25, 2018 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, but how to I get access to info on the modes? Strange thing is the USB does charge the phone, but it does not seem to recognize it.

10. Jul 25, 2018 #9

berkeman

Thanks! I never was able to see files on my Android phone when connected to my laptop, but now I can. I went to the Verizon website and searched for viewing files on my laptop, and this answer gave me the key (I have no idea what "Marshmallow" is, but whatever):

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1435981#1435981
    upload_2018-7-25_10-29-20.png

The key for me was to pull down the notification bar thing at the top of my phone display, and tap on the USB icon to change from charging to file transfer (and I selected "Just Once" to avoid having charging problems the next time I plugged in my phone). Now I can access my pictures via the DCIM folder, which is a huge help for my work. I transfer documentation and setup pictures all the time, but up to how I had to keep e-mailing them to myself (and WiFi is spotty at my current work location).

Thanks! :smile:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  11. Jul 25, 2018 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, both. I have the settings that allow for it. I guess it now comes down to seeing if the problem is with the USB cable or the PC itself.

12. Jul 26, 2018 #11

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Update , for anyone who may be interested. Phone was recognize on another computer using my USB. I wish I had something like a lab available for my own testing. I had to buy a Starbucks run to convince the repair people to let me use their stuff for a few minutes.

13. Jul 26, 2018 #12

berkeman

14. Jul 26, 2018 #13

Tom.G

Science Advisor

I seem to recall that earlier versions of Windows (XP?) needed a driver update/patch/add-on to talk to such devices. Perhaps Microsoft is up to their old tricks again.

edit:
    If SFC (System File Check) is still part of Win10 try running that ('SFC /scannow' from a Command line.)

p.s. I'm (still!) running XP and it won't recognize the wife's Fire Tablet. She's not interested so I didn't follow up.

15. Jul 26, 2018 #14

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have WIn 10, but get this weird stuff. It used to recognize it, but it does not anymore, for who knows what reason.

16. Jul 26, 2018 #15

OCR

It is... you must run cmd as an administrator, though.

sfc(1).PNG

Try this, too...

upload_2018-7-26_22-18-28.png

See if you get something like this...

upload_2018-7-26_22-22-29.png

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  17. Jul 27, 2018 #16

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Try: https://www.google.com/search?&q=windows+10+does+not+recognize+android+phone
    It's appearently not a new problem, that search returns 343 000 000 results. (you could spend how many lifetimes reading all of those?)
    High on the list was https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-doesnt-recognize-android/ which lists 10 possible fixes.

Barring that approach, there is rolling back to a Restore Point from before the failure, if their is one, or un-installing Updates back to when it was working.

I have had occassional success with doing a Restore that didn't seem to help followed by 'SFC /scannow'.

18. Jul 29, 2018 #17
    Codename for Android 6.0. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Marshmallow

They are code named after sweets. I don't know when we will reach Android Diabeetus :biggrin:.

@WWGD

This has happened to me as well. It is a nightmare to troubleshoot this kind of stuff because each device has a different manufacturer driver on Windows. One day it works, the other it doesn't. For really messed up stuff, system restore did it for me. Like @Tom.G said.

Attempt this first (to try to narrow down the problem): https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb

It is for a guide for developers, but if you manage to get ADB recognized, you can attempt this then (or try this first, it doesn't matter much):

https://www.howtogeek.com/195607/ho...evice-to-show-up-in-file-explorer-if-it-isnt/

What is the goal here? Get the MTP USB driver to work. Those are the keywords. MTP USB.

19. Jul 29, 2018 #18

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does your windows pc do _anything_ when you connect/disconect the phone?

Have you got another usb device you can try on your PC? Is that recognised?

20. Jul 29, 2018 #19

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. I have asked some people but they have been too paranoid to think I was playing a trick on them. And I have been too cheap to get myself one for around $8. I will just buy one soon and get back to you with the next installment of the ZTE Phone Saga.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted