Upgrading Windows 7 (32 bit to 64)

In summary, the conversation is about upgrading from a 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system without having to start from scratch. It is mentioned that a clean install would be necessary and there may be compatibility issues with programs. However, it is noted that 64 bit Windows can still run 32 bit apps without problems. A suggestion is made to use Windows Easy Transfer to keep files and settings when upgrading. A user also shares a method for accessing the recovery partition on a Toshiba laptop. The conversation ends with appreciation for the help and a plan to try the suggested method.
DHF
Greetings,

I currently have a laptop with Windows Home 7 32 bit. I would like to move to 64 bit so I can upgrade the RAM but I would rather not start from scratch. is there a way to load the 64 bit version onto my laptop without wiping out my current programs and settings?

any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Don

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm 90% sure you will have to clean install. And even if there were a way, it would not be desirable.

I don't fully understand the details of 32 and 64 bit, but I know that programs are designed for one or the other. If you were to try an upgrade, you would almost certainly have issues. It would not be a clean process.

yeah that is what I feared. would that mean that any applications I load in the future would have to be 64 bit? or is a 64 bit OS backward compatible with 32 bit apps?

and thanks for the reply.

Don

DHF said:
yeah that is what I feared. would that mean that any applications I load in the future would have to be 64 bit? or is a 64 bit OS backward compatible with 32 bit apps?

and thanks for the reply.

Don

If you're talking about 64 bit Windows running 32 bit apps, you're totally fine. It supports them without issue. I think Mac OSX does this too.

pa5tabear said:
I think Mac OSX does this too.

That is correct, as far as i know. I've had no problems so far with this myself.

If you are wanting to keep all your files and folders, program settings and basically have your new install looking the same as your previous there is a very simple way of doing this.
keep in mind it will not transfer over programs only their settings.

You will need an External hard drive larger then your current internal, or a network location that has enough free space, (easiest to just use a external HDD)

open your start menu and type in "easy" select windows easy transfer,
If you are on a laptop, plug in the power as this will take quite a long time.
Click next,
Select > An external hard disk or USB flash drive
Select > This is my old computer

Wait for the program to scan your computer (this may take from a few minutes upto a few hours depending on the size of your internal hard drive) i suggest going away from the PC for around 30 minutes and just check every so often.

Select the user accounts you wish to transfer,
Click next,
type a password if you wish
click save/press enter
browse to your external hard drive
click save

Wait for all your Program settings files and folders to be copied to your external hard drive.

install your new 64 bit operating system (depending on the laptop you can use the Recovery tools to reinstall a fresh 64 bit copy of windows)
make sure you keep the usernames the same for the new install

Open the file on the new computer and click this is my new computer
select the user accounts you wish to copy over,
click next/ok all your files will be copied over,
after copying restart the computer

Enjoy your new 64bit windows 7 and all your files and folders present,

this tool also allows you to see a list of programs that were installed on your old install.

Good luck!

Luke.

all windows 7 preinstalled OS's come with 32bit and 64bit OS's prebuilt in, you just have to bring it back to prefab to have access to the other version of the OS.

Example

Toshiba Factory Recovery

To access the Toshiba recovery partition, power off the laptop. Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears, where you should start tapping the zero key repeatedly. Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears. The screen should flash ** HDD RECOVERY MODE ** for a split second, then load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.

If you have another brand just search for "*brand* restore factory settings" replacing brand with what your laptop is.

Thanks everyone. this is very encouraging. and Luke I will try the method you detailed. it should work nicely as I do not believe there is a ton of applications to re install, just lots of saved files.

I appreciate all the help,

Don

1. Can I upgrade my 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade your 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit, but it is not a simple process. You will need to perform a clean install, which means wiping your hard drive and starting from scratch. Additionally, your computer's hardware must be compatible with a 64-bit operating system.

2. Will my files and programs be retained during the upgrade?

No, upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a clean install, so all of your files and programs will be erased. It is important to back up your important files before beginning the upgrade process.

3. How do I know if my computer is capable of running a 64-bit operating system?

You can check your computer's specifications to see if it has a 64-bit processor and enough RAM to support a 64-bit operating system. Most newer computers are capable of running 64-bit, but it is always best to double check before attempting an upgrade.

4. What are the benefits of upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows 7?

The main benefit of upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 is the ability to access more memory, which can result in improved performance and faster processing speeds. Additionally, 64-bit versions of Windows are more secure and offer better compatibility with newer software.

5. Is it possible to downgrade back to 32-bit after upgrading to 64-bit?

No, once you have upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows 7, you cannot downgrade back to 32-bit. This is why it is important to carefully consider if upgrading is necessary for your computer's needs before beginning the process.