Upper Division Preparation - Transfer Student

In summary, the speaker is a current community college student preparing to transfer to a University of California, ideally Berkeley, to study physics. They have excelled in lower division math and physics courses and even hold a position as a TA. However, they are worried about transitioning to upper division courses and wonder if they are adequately prepared. They seek advice on how to prepare for upper division work and whether or not their exams in lower division physics courses should reflect homework. Other students assure them that they are well prepared and suggest focusing on calculus skills. The speaker also considers taking an upper division math course at a local university to further prepare for graduate school in physics.
funkman
Hello all

I currently attend a California community college where I am preparing to transfer to a University of California campus - hopefully Berkeley - to study physics. I've had no difficulty in my lower division math and physics courses (calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, mechanics, E&M, etc...) and have even won the award for math student of distinction at my college this past year. I even hold a position as a sort of TA (called supplemental instruction at my school) for the mechanics class with calculus.

The problem is I still feel that jumping into upper division courses at a university is beyond my capabilities. I am not so afraid of the math as I am for the physics. I have no problem understanding the concepts and I can solve just about any problem in my book (Young & Freedman: University Physics), it's just I feel I could have been challenged more in exams.

So I ask you: should exams in lower division physics courses merely reflect homework? Am I expected to know every detail about the concepts laid out in these courses and use them at a moments notice? Or at this level should I just have a solid understanding of the fundamentals? I have another year at the CC to finish up (relatively easy) transfer requirements, how should I prepare in the meantime? Am I thinking too much?!

Any comments or advice about the transition to upper division work is welcome.

Thanks!
funkman

Physics news on Phys.org
I had the same worries when I transferred in from a community college. You really are worrying to much. The calculus sequence is pretty standardized for undergraduates, as is Physics.

If you have taken the courses on the transfer list and feel comfortable with the material then you are well prepared! Relax and keep up the good work and enjoy the fact you will have significantly less in student loans.

One other note, is usually people transferring from a 2 year school to a 4 year school take a slight dip in their GPA in the first semester. That is usually just a transition shock, and not related to a person's knowledge base. In my experience the workload at the 4 year University is tougher, i.e. the assignments are more challenging but the exams and content have been comparable.

If you are really worried just print out your syllabi for your physics and math classes. Find the departmental undergraduate coordinator (or similar title) for the school you are transfering into and set up an appointment to compare them. It's probably a good idea to talk with them anyways, you will get better advice from them than a generic advisor who is not field specific.

funkman said:
Hello all

I currently attend a California community college where I am preparing to transfer to a University of California campus - hopefully Berkeley - to study physics. I've had no difficulty in my lower division math and physics courses (calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, mechanics, E&M, etc...) and have even won the award for math student of distinction at my college this past year. I even hold a position as a sort of TA (called supplemental instruction at my school) for the mechanics class with calculus.

The problem is I still feel that jumping into upper division courses at a university is beyond my capabilities. I am not so afraid of the math as I am for the physics. I have no problem understanding the concepts and I can solve just about any problem in my book (Young & Freedman: University Physics), it's just I feel I could have been challenged more in exams.

So I ask you: should exams in lower division physics courses merely reflect homework? Am I expected to know every detail about the concepts laid out in these courses and use them at a moments notice? Or at this level should I just have a solid understanding of the fundamentals? I have another year at the CC to finish up (relatively easy) transfer requirements, how should I prepare in the meantime? Am I thinking too much?!

Any comments or advice about the transition to upper division work is welcome.

Thanks!
funkman

Hey there. I went to a UC campus for undergrad so I can assure you that you are well prepared. The CC transfers didn't do any better or worse in my upper division courses than the students who went to UC for the first two years.

The biggest hurdle for almost everyone in upper division courses is calculus skill. It takes lots and lots of practice. In my Signal Processing class, for example, almost everyone had more trouble doing the required integrations and stuff in homework than they did in setting up the problems. If you have a strong grasp of calculus, and know where to look things up to refresh yourself, you've going to do fine.

Thanks! I feel somewhat better about it now. I've been going through my books and picking out any little details that I'm not certain about to prepare more. I just know I won't be "that one guy" in my classes anymore. :/

On another note, today I discovered that I can take a course at my local university as I finish up my transfer requirements here. In the spring I will have a rather easy semester and I'm thinking about taking an upper division math course there. Any suggestions for math I will want to know if I continue physics in graduate school?

As a fellow physicist, I understand your concerns about transitioning to upper division courses at a university. It is natural to feel apprehensive about the increased level of difficulty and expectations in these courses. However, based on your previous academic achievements and your enthusiasm for the subject, I have no doubt that you have the capabilities to succeed in upper division courses at a university.

In terms of exams reflecting homework, it is important to remember that while homework assignments are designed to reinforce concepts and problem-solving skills, exams are meant to assess your understanding and application of those concepts. It is normal to feel a bit challenged and perhaps even struggle with some exam questions, but do not let this discourage you. Use it as an opportunity to identify areas where you may need to strengthen your understanding and seek help from professors or peers if needed.

In terms of preparation for upper division courses, I recommend reviewing fundamental concepts and problem-solving techniques from your lower division courses. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the specific topics and areas of focus for the upper division courses you will be taking. Additionally, don't hesitate to reach out to professors or academic advisors at the university for advice and guidance.

Remember, the transition to upper division work can be challenging but it is also an exciting opportunity to delve deeper into the world of physics. Don't let your concerns hold you back, trust in your abilities and continue to work hard and you will excel in your studies. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What is the purpose of upper division preparation for transfer students?

Upper division preparation for transfer students is designed to help prepare students for the rigorous coursework and academic expectations at a four-year university. It allows students to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in upper division courses at the university level.

2. How do I know if I need to complete upper division preparation as a transfer student?

Students who are transferring from a community college to a four-year university may need to complete upper division preparation if their major requires it. It is important to check with the university and your academic advisor to determine if you need to complete this requirement.

3. What courses are typically included in upper division preparation for transfer students?

The courses included in upper division preparation vary depending on the university and major. However, they often include courses in math, writing, and critical thinking to prepare students for upper division coursework in their chosen field of study.

4. How long does it take to complete upper division preparation?

The length of time to complete upper division preparation as a transfer student depends on factors such as the number of required courses and the student's course load. It may take one or two semesters to complete, but this can vary for each individual student.

5. Can I opt out of upper division preparation as a transfer student?

In some cases, students may be able to opt out of upper division preparation if they have already completed similar coursework at their community college. However, this decision ultimately depends on the university and the specific requirements for the major. It is important to check with the university and your academic advisor before making this decision.