US 2-phase conversion to EU one phase

• Thread starter dabnug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phase
In summary: The factory told me 5.5KVA as a minimum power source. If I use a step up transformer from 120v this means 45A max current draw.At 120V, a step up transformer will provide 45A. If you go to 230V, the transformer will provide 63A.
dabnug said:
https://www.schneider-electric.com/...s&filter=product_parent_category_id-166406748

The input voltage specification for it when wired for single phase is 220 V nominal with a range from 200V to 255V. It can't be wired for 120V operation.

On the print, the drive is connected to "L1" and "N". In this case, "N" isn't neutral - the center tap on a 230V transformer in a US split single phase system - but is rather the other hot lead "L2".
ok, but this device is designed to operate with the US grid 220v per the spec. So for the input to actually be 220v, you would need to have both L1 and L2 connected, AND a neutral? because just L1 and Neutral would only be 120v?
What the manufacturer's print shows as "N" isn't neutral. It is "L2".
Nothing on these prints use 120V so far as I can see.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Guineafowl said:
References to the machine “needing a dedicated neutral” aren’t quite accurate and may be something to do with translation. Perhaps they want to be sure you don’t involve the US centre-tap neutral in anything.
This is my suspicion as well.

Guineafowl said:
There is no sensible way of obtaining a neutral like a Chinese/EU system in your country
Having thought about this, I realized you could use a suitably rated step-up autotransformer to achieve this. Still not necessary, though, and potentially hard to find.

How are you getting on?

I got some electricians that specialize in equipment wiring to come and take a look. After inspecting the wiring and various transformers/power converters they said plug it in. The factory is wrong. Plugged it in and it worked. Sorry for dragging this thing out for so long.

I appreciate all the knowledge and detailed explanations along the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_083403.jpg
    IMG_20190522_083403.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 312
Likes Asymptotic, Guineafowl and berkeman
It is not uncommon for a factory to be 'wrong' simply because they don't want to open a can or worms so-to-speak. It is their right to do so. The company doesn't want the liability of someone from their organization advising a customer wrongly by accident so the policy is: "Wire it only this way!"

Welcome to PF.
What is the maximum power or current demand of the printer-drier ?

If it is hard-wired to the building, you will need to call your electrician who will do it safely, according to the code. There should be no voltage problem.

If a power cable and a 3 pin plug, to suit a general purpose power outlet is fitted, then it must have sufficient capacity. The protective Earth PE must be connected, and the integrity checked. That again is a job for a qualified electrician.

This problem NEEDS a qualified electrician to figure it out. We cannot properly solve it via the internet, so the thread is closed.