Use 2 parallel cuts to divide a pizza into 3 segments with equal area

In summary, you would have to make two parallel cuts on a pizza so that all three segments have the same amount of pizza.
JamesGold
Problem: Where would you have to make two parallel cuts on a pizza so that all 3 segments have the same amount of pizza?

Given: the pizza's diameter is 14 in.

Attempt: With the leftmost point of the pizza as the origin of my coordinate system, the equation for the top half of the pizza is y = √7^2 - (x - 7)^2. If I set the integral of that equation from 0 to A equal to one sixth the area of the pizza then A should be how far from the edge of the pizza you'd have to make the first cut, right? I'm just having trouble evaluating this integral. I used a trig substitution x - 7 = 7sinσ and simplified until I had:

(49/2)∫1 + cos(2σ)dσ from (3pi/2) to inversesin(A/7 - 1) which simplifies to

(49/2) * [σ + 0.5sin(2σ)] with the same limits of integration. Plugging the limits into the antiderivative made things real ugly and I can't handle the algebra. Did I make a mistake up to this point? If not, could someone please guide me through the algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be going about it the right way, but I'm puzzled as to why you would want to create the ugliness of the equations that you get when you put the origin somewhere other than the center of the pizza?

I would use non-Euclidean geometry. (LOL)

phinds said:
You seem to be going about it the right way, but I'm puzzled as to why you would want to create the ugliness of the equations that you get when you put the origin somewhere other than the center of the pizza?

Hm, I hadn't thought about that. I guess you could use the center of the pizza as your origin, set the integral from 0 to A equal to one sixth the area, and A would give you half the width of the middle segment.

Give me some time to rework!

Okay, with the origin at the center I have

(49/2)[inversesin(A/7) + 0.5sin{2inversesin(A/7)}] = 49pi/6

Now what?

Last edited:
JamesGold said:
Okay, with the origin at the center I have

(49/2)[inversesin(A/7) + 0.5sin{2inversesin(A/7)}] = 49pi/6

Now what?

Now you solve the equation numerically.

RGV

The correct equation is actually

(49/2)[inversesin(A/7) + 0.5sin{2inversesin(A/7)}] = 49pi/12

and just plugging in numbers I got A ≈ 1.854, so you should make two parallel cuts 1.854 inches from either side of the pizza's center.

Thanks, gentlemen.

1. How do I make 2 parallel cuts to divide a pizza into 3 segments with equal area?

To divide a pizza into 3 equal segments, you will need to make 2 parallel cuts that intersect at the center of the pizza. The first cut should divide the pizza into two equal halves, and the second cut should divide one of the halves into two equal pieces. This will result in 3 equal segments of pizza.

2. Do the cuts need to be perfectly parallel?

Yes, in order for the segments to have equal area, the cuts must be perfectly parallel. If the cuts are not parallel, the segments will not be equal in size.

3. Can I use any type of pizza to do this?

Yes, you can use any type of pizza to divide into 3 equal segments. The size and shape of the pizza do not matter as long as you are able to make the cuts in the correct locations.

4. Is there a specific way to make the cuts?

The most precise way to make the cuts is by using a ruler or a straight edge. Place the ruler across the center of the pizza and make sure it is perfectly perpendicular to the edge of the pizza. Then use a knife or pizza cutter to make the cuts along the ruler.

5. Can you explain the math behind dividing a pizza into 3 equal segments with 2 parallel cuts?

The math behind this process involves finding the center point of the pizza and dividing it into three equal parts using the two parallel cuts. This can be done by dividing the radius of the pizza into three equal parts and then drawing lines through those points that intersect at the center of the pizza. This ensures that each segment has the same radius and therefore the same area.