Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use a motor to turn a threaded rod

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,
    Is this something that I can use to link a motor to a threaded rod (so when the motor turns, the threaded rod turns as well)?

also, about how much torque will i be needing to slowly rotate a 1 foot steel threaded rod?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

This is known as a "motorized lead screw". The torque to drive it depends on the load you are moving plus the friction of the system.

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    I just did a quick google search of "motorized lead screw" and I didnt find much. Could you provide a photo or a link with some more info?

Also, I'm not turning any load, just a threaded rod. A normal stepper motor should be fine, right? I particular im eyeing http://www.maplin.co.uk/miniature-epicyclic-motorgearboxes-43376 (the one with the lowest rpm)

thanks again for all your help!

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

6. Nov 20, 2013 #5
    I'm still not sure I understand the post. I've gathered that I should be using couplings to link the motor shaft (4mm / 5/32") to the 1/4" threaded rod, but I can't find any of that size online.
    I feel like i'm missing something major, sorry for all this hassle.

7. Nov 21, 2013 #6

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

balsaboom Excuse me, I did not read your post carefully and missed your point completely. So, you are looking for “couplings to link the motor shaft (4mm / 5/32") to the 1/4" threaded rod”.

What you can use is called an “Inch/Metric Universal Lateral Shaft Coupler”. Here is a catalog with many to choose from:

PIC Design Catalog 45, Lateral shaft couplers, Section 7 which contains these types:

Bellows Couplings, Zero Adjustable Couplings, Flexible Couplings, Miniature Oldham Couplings, Wafer Oldham Couplings, Universal Lateral Couplings, Multi-Jaw Couplings, Precision Universal Joint Couplings, Molded Universal Joint Couplings, Precision Sleeve Couplings, Flexible Zero Backlash Couplings, Spider Couplings

You’ll need to get the pdf document and then scroll down to Section 7. There you can choose the right one for your project.

Good Luck, Bobbywhy

8. Nov 21, 2013 #7
    great, that was exactly what i needed. thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook