How to Integrate ln(sin x) using Euler's Identity?

• Thread starter meteor
  • Start date
In summary, Euler's identity for sin(x) is an equation that relates the exponential function, complex numbers, and trigonometric functions, expressed as e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x). It is used in trigonometry to simplify expressions and prove identities, but cannot be used to directly find the value of sin(x). Its significance lies in its ability to connect seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts and it can be visualized on the complex plane as a circular motion connecting the real and imaginary axes.
meteor
Can somebody show me how to integrate this:?

[tex]
\int ln (sin x) dx
[/tex]

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any reason to believe that its anti-dervivative is an elementary function?

I tried a sloppy method that got me close:
1) use Euler's ID for sin(x)
2) factor out an exponential
3) write the ln as a sum of simpler ln's
4) do a substitution for one of the ln's

This got me to an integral I didn't know how to solve, but that is probably simpler in principle. The integrand is:
ln(u)/(1 - u)

FAQ: How to Integrate ln(sin x) using Euler's Identity?

What is Euler's identity for sin(x)?

Euler's identity for sin(x) is an equation that relates the exponential function, complex numbers, and trigonometric functions. It is expressed as e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is the angle in radians.

How is Euler's identity used in trigonometry?

Euler's identity is used in trigonometry to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and to prove trigonometric identities. It also provides a connection between trigonometric functions and exponential functions, making it easier to solve certain types of problems.

Can Euler's identity be used to find the value of sin(x)?

No, Euler's identity cannot be used to directly find the value of sin(x). It is an identity, not an equation, which means it is true for all values of x. However, it can be used to simplify expressions involving sin(x) or to prove other trigonometric identities.

What is the significance of Euler's identity?

Euler's identity is significant because it shows the relationship between seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts - exponential functions, complex numbers, and trigonometric functions. It is also considered one of the most beautiful and elegant equations in mathematics.

How can Euler's identity be visualized?

Euler's identity can be visually represented on the complex plane as a point that moves in a circular motion as the angle x increases. This motion creates a connection between the real and imaginary axes, with the real component being the cosine function and the imaginary component being the sine function.

Back