1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use Fourier Analysis to solve

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let f[k]=1/k!, then let fsub2[k]=f[k] convoluted with f[k]
    what is a simple formula for fsubm[k]???

2. Relevant equations
    f[k] convoluted with f[k] = summation from negative infinity to infinity of 1/m! * 1/(n-m)!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried a base case, but now I feel like this should be e^x, because the rest of the terms will drop out??? Please Help I don't really know where to start...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't have any x in your sequence. Do you know the relation between convolution of sequences and power series? This problem can be done using that, if you know it, or it can be worked directly. But I think you want to write the convolution more carefully. Your sequence f is only defined for k = 0,1,2... and the convolution of f with itself would be$$
    f\star f = g \hbox{ where }g(n)=\sum_{k=0}^n f(k)f(n-k)$$If you write out ##g(n)## for your particular function, you might be surprised and recognize it from somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. Mar 2, 2012 #3
    no I don't know it, or maybe I just don't recognize it... When i broke it down I got 1/n!+1/(n+1)!+...+1/(n+1)!+1/n!

5. Mar 2, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Each term in the sum for ##g(n)## would have two factorials, one for ##f(k)## and one for ##f(n-k)## wouldn't it? Substitute your formulas for ##f## directly in the sum for ##g(n)## and leave the summation sign in. What do you get? See if you can find any connection to binomial expansions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook