Use Fourier Analysis to solve

In summary: Each term in the sum for ##g(n)## would have two factorials, one for ##f(k)## and one for ##f(n-k)## wouldn't it? Substitute your formulas for ##f## directly in the sum for ##g(n)## and leave the summation sign in. What do you get?You get$$g(n)=\sum_{k=0}^n 1/n!+1/(n+1)!+...+1/(n+1)!+1/n!$$This is the same as the original sequence, but with different terms.
corey2014

Homework Statement

let f[k]=1/k!, then let fsub2[k]=f[k] convoluted with f[k]
what is a simple formula for fsubm[k]?

Homework Equations

f[k] convoluted with f[k] = summation from negative infinity to infinity of 1/m! * 1/(n-m)!

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a base case, but now I feel like this should be e^x, because the rest of the terms will drop out? Please Help I don't really know where to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
corey2014 said:

Homework Statement

let f[k]=1/k!, then let fsub2[k]=f[k] convoluted with f[k]
what is a simple formula for fsubm[k]?

Homework Equations

f[k] convoluted with f[k] = summation from negative infinity to infinity of 1/m! * 1/(n-m)!

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a base case, but now I feel like this should be e^x, because the rest of the terms will drop out? Please Help I don't really know where to start...

You don't have any x in your sequence. Do you know the relation between convolution of sequences and power series? This problem can be done using that, if you know it, or it can be worked directly. But I think you want to write the convolution more carefully. Your sequence f is only defined for k = 0,1,2... and the convolution of f with itself would be$$
f\star f = g \hbox{ where }g(n)=\sum_{k=0}^n f(k)f(n-k)$$If you write out ##g(n)## for your particular function, you might be surprised and recognize it from somewhere.

Last edited:
no I don't know it, or maybe I just don't recognize it... When i broke it down I got 1/n!+1/(n+1)!+...+1/(n+1)!+1/n!

LCKurtz said:
You don't have any x in your sequence. Do you know the relation between convolution of sequences and power series? This problem can be done using that, if you know it, or it can be worked directly. But I think you want to write the convolution more carefully. Your sequence f is only defined for k = 0,1,2... and the convolution of f with itself would be$$
f\star f = g \hbox{ where }g(n)=\sum_{k=0}^n f(k)f(n-k)$$If you write out ##g(n)## for your particular function, you might be surprised and recognize it from somewhere.

corey2014 said:
no I don't know it, or maybe I just don't recognize it... When i broke it down I got 1/n!+1/(n+1)!+...+1/(n+1)!+1/n!

Each term in the sum for ##g(n)## would have two factorials, one for ##f(k)## and one for ##f(n-k)## wouldn't it? Substitute your formulas for ##f## directly in the sum for ##g(n)## and leave the summation sign in. What do you get? See if you can find any connection to binomial expansions.

1. What is Fourier Analysis?

Fourier Analysis is a mathematical technique used to break down a complex signal or function into simpler components. It involves representing a signal as a sum of sinusoidal waves with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How is Fourier Analysis used in science?

Fourier Analysis is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. It can be used to analyze signals and patterns in data, solve differential equations, and understand the behavior of complex systems.

3. Can Fourier Analysis be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, Fourier Analysis can be used to solve a wide range of real-world problems, including image and sound processing, data compression, and signal filtering. It is a powerful tool for understanding and manipulating complex signals and functions.

4. What are some common applications of Fourier Analysis?

Some common applications of Fourier Analysis include audio and image compression, signal processing in telecommunications, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering. It is also used in fields such as finance, weather forecasting, and medical imaging.

5. Is Fourier Analysis difficult to understand?

While Fourier Analysis may seem intimidating at first, it can be explained and understood through basic mathematical concepts such as trigonometry and complex numbers. With practice and a solid understanding of the underlying principles, it can be a powerful and useful tool for solving complex problems in science and engineering.