Use integration to find the sum of a series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum using integration. Various methods are suggested, including constructing a finite integral, bounding the sum, and showing its equivalence to a Riemann sum. Ultimately, the series is transformed into an integral, which after integration gives the sum of 1/2.
raopeng

Homework Statement

Find the sum using integration: [itex]lim_{n→∞} \frac{n}{(n+1)^2} + ... + \frac{n}{(2n)^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this requires a clever construction of a series of an finite integral which after integration gives the series. Then it can be solved by summing up the series inside the integral then integrate the whole thing. But now what is bothering me is how to construct such a function, every function I have tried seems remotely far from the series in the question. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about bounding the sum by a pair of integrals over (n, 2n)?

Or show that the given sum is equivalent to a Riemann sum for some function. So taking the limit is equivalent to finding the integral.

Oh thanks so much!

I transform the series in this way: [itex]Ʃ_{k=1} ^{n} \frac{1}{(1+k/n)^2 n} [/itex] which turns into an integral [itex]\int^1 _0 \frac{dx}{(1+x)^2}[/itex]. An integration gives 1/2.

1. What is integration and how is it used to find the sum of a series?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. When applied to finding the sum of a series, it involves breaking the series into smaller parts and finding the area under each part, then adding them together to get the total sum.

2. What types of series can be summed using integration?

Integration can be used to sum both finite and infinite series, as long as they can be represented as continuous functions. This includes geometric series, arithmetic series, and power series, among others.

3. Can integration be used to find the sum of a series with changing terms?

Yes, integration can be used to find the sum of a series with changing terms, as long as the terms can be represented as a continuous function. In this case, the series would be broken into smaller parts, and the integral would be taken over each part to find the sum.

4. How can I determine the limits of integration for a series?

The limits of integration for a series can be determined by looking at the pattern of the series. If the series has a clear starting and ending point, then those values would be used as the limits of integration. If the series is infinite, then the limits of integration would be from 0 to infinity.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration to find the sum of a series?

Yes, there are some limitations to using integration to find the sum of a series. Integration can only be applied to series that can be represented as continuous functions. Additionally, some series may require more complex integration techniques, which can be challenging to solve.