1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of Biot-Savart Law for Square Loop

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    Hey,

My question concerns the integration of the biot savart law of a differential magnetic field element to find the magnetic field at the center of a square loop. The question is part (c) (using info from (b)) of the image below:

electromagnetism3.png

I want to check if what I did was right, but what I did was to integrate the differential magnetic field element separately for each of the 4 sides, using the fact the angle varies between 45 and -45 degrees for each side. So basically I multiplied the integral of the differential magnetic field by 4 and integrated across the limits of 45 degrees and -45 degrees to attain:

[tex]B=\frac{\sqrt{2}\mu _{0}I}{\pi a}[/tex]

Is this right?

Many thanks for any help/comments!
    SK

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey Sekonda! :wink:

Yup, looks ok. :smile:

(btw, [3] is the differential form of the usual (µo/4πa)(sinθ1 - sinθ2), = µo/2πa for an infinite straight wire :wink:)

4. May 12, 2012 #3
    Cheers thanks, and so it is; I always miss the ''intricate'' relations between scenario's in electromagnetism.

Thanks again,
    SK

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook