Use of floor and ceiling functions in physics problems

In summary: I would appreciate if someone could clarify this for me.)If I understand jbriggs' response, he was saying that obtaining the general solution from the point I got to was a trivial exercise. (But I would not have said it was that trivial... so I would appreciate if someone could clarify this for me.)
Agustin

Homework Statement

explained on document attached

Homework Equations

Energy on a spring and work done by friction

The Attempt at a Solution

Included on document

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FNrmIkkWzyZJNsbGbq_DYMyMZbpyMcAYKYk9iTbdR-4/edit?usp=sharing

Physics news on Phys.org
Agustin said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Included on document

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FNrmIkkWzyZJNsbGbq_DYMyMZbpyMcAYKYk9iTbdR-4/edit?usp=sharing
What is your question to this forum?

I want to know if my reasoning is right. Wether I made mistakes or not.

Agustin said:
I want to know if my reasoning is right. Wether I made mistakes or not.
Unfortunately it is very hard to read on my iPad because some of the special symbols are coming out as strings of question marks.
There appear to be sign errors in the early equations, but these might just be your transcription into the post.
Overall, I would say it is unnecessarily elaborate. You can write down straight away that the total distance traversed over the frictional area is ##d=\frac {k\Delta x^2}{2F}##. Next, we can discard from d whole multiples of 2L, giving ##d-2L\lfloor \frac d{2L}\rfloor##.

I'll take a look on a real computer later to see if the symbols become readable.

Agustin said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Included on document

haruspex said:
Unfortunately it is very hard to read on my iPad because some of the special symbols are coming out as strings of question marks.
There appear to be sign errors in the early equations, but these might just be your transcription into the post.
Overall, I would say it is unnecessarily elaborate. You can write down straight away that the total distance traversed over the frictional area is ##d=\frac {k\Delta x^2}{2F}##. Next, we can discard from d whole multiples of 2L, giving ##d-2L\lfloor \frac d{2L}\rfloor##.

I'll take a look on a real computer later to see if the symbols become readable.
That equation does not work for odd numbers. The problem asks the distance it stops relative to the point B. For example if d=7,25l the block will end up at 0.75l away from B, if we plug in those values in the equation you`ve given:
d-2l⌊d/2l⌋=7.25l-2l⌊7.25l/2l⌋=7.25l-2l⌊3.625⌋=7.25l-6l=1.25l

Last edited:
Agustin said:
That equation does not work for odd numbers. The problem asks the distance it stops relative to the point B. For example if d=7,25l the block will end up at 0.75l away from B, if we plug in those values in the equation you`ve given:
d-2l⌊d/2l⌋=7.25l-2l⌊7.25/2l⌋=7.25l-2l⌊3.625⌋=7.25l-6l=1.25l
Haruspex is using a different convention for the meaning of "d" than you are. He defines it as...
haruspex said:
the total distance traversed over the frictional area is [d]
and then takes the remainder modulo 2L.

Translating that result to give the asked-for answer is a rather trivial exercise.

jbriggs444 said:
Haruspex is using a different convention for the meaning of "d" than you are. He defines it as...

Translating that result to give the asked-for answer is a rather trivial exercise.

Maybe it is trivial, but I`m not looking for a trivial solution, but the general solution. That equation does not immediately give you the distance asked for, therefore it is a solution yet it isn`t the complete solution. The formula I present on the document immediately gives the distance asked for which is the point of the problem. And not just a simple formula.

You do understand that the rules of this forum preclude the handing out of complete solutions?

If I could post on any other forum I would, however I can´t so I have no choice but to post here. Am I to blame for that?

jbriggs444 said:

Thanks for jumping in, j. Yes, I was just illustrating how the first steps could be done much more simply and was leaving it to Agustin to take it from there.
Meanwhile, I could not verify Agustin's original treatment without finding a way to view it properly, and that has not happened yet.
Agustin said:
I`m not looking for a trivial solution,
If I understand jbriggs' response, he was saying that obtaining the general solution from the point I got to was a trivial exercise. (But I would not have said it was that trivial :wink:)

Likes jbriggs444
OK, I have now viewed the OP in a legible format and find that the final equation is incorrect.
Consider e.g. n=1. This produces L/2 instead of L. Similarly any odd integer value of n.
Likewise, an even integer gives L/2 instead of 0.

haruspex said:
OK, I have now viewed the OP in a legible format and find that the final equation is incorrect.
Consider e.g. n=1. This produces L/2 instead of L. Similarly any odd integer value of n.
Likewise, an even integer gives L/2 instead of 0.
You`re right. I forgot to check that part, that means my proof of the particular case on page 6 is wrong. I`ll check it and try working out a general formula that works. I greatly appreciate your time.

I`ve already checked it, I think the formula is valid.

Agustin said:
I`ve already checked it, I think the formula is valid.
Then how do you explain that it gives the wrong answers for integer values of n?

It does? It seems to work just fine for me, when n=1
dA=(l/2)(1+(-1) ^⌊n⌋(2(n-⌊n⌋)-1)=(l/2)(1-(2(1-1)-1))=(l/2)(1-(-1))=(l/2)(2)=l
If n=2
dA=(l/2)(1+(-1) ^⌊n⌋(2(n-⌊n⌋)-1)=(l/2)(1+(-1) ^2(2(2-2)-1)=(l/2)(1+(-1))=0

Agustin said:
It does? It seems to work just fine for me, when n=1
dA=(l/2)(1+(-1) ^⌊n⌋(2(n-⌊n⌋)-1)=(l/2)(1-(2(1-1)-1))=(l/2)(1-(-1))=(l/2)(2)=l
If n=2
dA=(l/2)(1+(-1) ^⌊n⌋(2(n-⌊n⌋)-1)=(l/2)(1+(-1) ^2(2(2-2)-1)=(l/2)(1+(-1))=0
You did not say that you had changed the equation. It looks right now.

Sorry. Yes I`m very excited that it works. Doesn`t it seem interesting how much planning can some simple math do? It thrills me

1. What are floor and ceiling functions?

Floor and ceiling functions are mathematical functions that round a given number down or up to the nearest integer, respectively. The floor function rounds down to the nearest integer, while the ceiling function rounds up to the nearest integer.

2. How are floor and ceiling functions used in physics problems?

In physics, floor and ceiling functions are used to represent discrete values in continuous systems. For example, in quantum mechanics, where energy levels are discrete, floor and ceiling functions can be used to represent those energy levels in a continuous mathematical model.

3. Can floor and ceiling functions be used with non-integer numbers?

Yes, floor and ceiling functions can be used with non-integer numbers. The result of using these functions with non-integer numbers will still be an integer, but the input can be any real number.

4. How do floor and ceiling functions affect the accuracy of calculations in physics?

Floor and ceiling functions can affect the accuracy of calculations in physics by introducing rounding errors. These errors can accumulate and affect the overall accuracy of the calculation. Therefore, it is important to use these functions carefully and consider the potential impact on the accuracy of the results.

5. Are there any alternative methods to using floor and ceiling functions in physics problems?

Yes, there are alternative methods to using floor and ceiling functions in physics problems. One alternative is to use the nearest integer function, which rounds a given number to the nearest integer. This function can be useful when working with non-integer values in physics problems.