Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of steel powder in composites

1. Jun 11, 2006 #1
    How effective is using steel powder in a polymer/ceramic composite matrix?

I am wondering this from observing this product called Faststeel which is one of those epoxy putty sticks that claims to be steel-reinforced.

I actually think that it will make a material stronger than the matrix material alone, but are there quantitative comparisons on the mechanical properties?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've any idea what size the particles are? Was thinking whether dispersion strengthening models might be usable in estimating the effect.
  4. Jun 25, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

I thought about this question, but it slipped my mind.

I don't necessarily see steel being advantages - it would depend on composition and cold-work - but there may be an advantage on toughness (i.e. fracture toughness/fracture resistance).
  5. Jun 25, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only steel based composites I know (eg: boride cermets) use steel as the matrix.

As often happens, it comes down to a longer and more detailed list of qualities than just "effectiveness".

What kind of matrix do you have in mind and what is the application you intend for it?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?