Use of steel powder in composites

  • Thread starter Thread starter Facial
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Powder Steel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Facial
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
How effective is using steel powder in a polymer/ceramic composite matrix?

I am wondering this from observing this product called Faststeel which is one of those epoxy putty sticks that claims to be steel-reinforced.

I actually think that it will make a material stronger than the matrix material alone, but are there quantitative comparisons on the mechanical properties?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
You've any idea what size the particles are? Was thinking whether dispersion strengthening models might be usable in estimating the effect.
 
I thought about this question, but it slipped my mind.

I don't necessarily see steel being advantages - it would depend on composition and cold-work - but there may be an advantage on toughness (i.e. fracture toughness/fracture resistance).
 
Facial said:
How effective is using steel powder in a polymer/ceramic composite matrix?

I am wondering this from observing this product called Faststeel which is one of those epoxy putty sticks that claims to be steel-reinforced.

I actually think that it will make a material stronger than the matrix material alone, but are there quantitative comparisons on the mechanical properties?
The only steel based composites I know (eg: boride cermets) use steel as the matrix.

As often happens, it comes down to a longer and more detailed list of qualities than just "effectiveness".

What kind of matrix do you have in mind and what is the application you intend for it?