1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use partial fractions to find the sum of the series

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use partial fractions to find the sum of the series: [itex]\Sigma[/itex]n=1 to infinity [itex]\frac{5}{n(n+1)(n+2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Partial Fraction breakdown: [itex]\Sigma[/itex] [itex]\frac{5}{2n}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{2(n+2)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{(n+1)}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I tried to cancel terms out, it is erratic and no pattern seems to emerge. It is not geometric so using a/(1-r) isn't possible. When I separated the terms, each diverges based on the nth term test. According to the all-knowing wolfram-alpha, the series converges to 5/4...I feel as if I am missing something big in my attempts at solving this one? any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your partial fraction expansion is incorrect.

RGV

4. Aug 12, 2012 #3
    ah that was a typo, the partial fraction expansion I have in my attempts is...[itex]\frac{5}{2n}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{2(n+2)}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{5}{n+1}[/itex]

I still have the same issue..

5. Aug 12, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Edit : Whoops you had the right expansion I didn't see your post there.

There will be a pattern you will notice, but a more important question to ask yourself is : Suppose your sum is going from 1 to infinity. Lets say you're summing some A+B+C which are all composed of a variable n ( the variable you are summing of course ). If one of A, B, or C diverges, does the whole series diverge?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  6. Aug 12, 2012 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint 1: [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f(n) = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^{N} f(n)[/tex]

Hint 2: [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{1}{n+2} = \left( \sum_{n=1}^{N+2} \frac{1}{n} \right) - \frac{1}{1} - \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

7. Aug 12, 2012 #6
    reindex second and third sums.
    and notice you get a whole lot of cancelation.

8. Aug 13, 2012 #7
    How do you mean?

9. Aug 13, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He means that you should write it out in detail and see what happens.

RGV

10. Aug 13, 2012 #9
    by all means...enlighten me..where's the pattern........

([itex]\frac{5}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{6}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{5}{2}[/itex])+([itex]\frac{5}{4}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{8}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{5}{3}[/itex])+([itex]\frac{5}{6}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{10}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{5}{4}[/itex])+([itex]\frac{5}{8}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{12}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{5}{5}[/itex])+([itex]\frac{5}{10}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{14}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{5}{6}[/itex])+([itex]\frac{5}{12}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{16}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{5}{7}[/itex])+([itex]\frac{5}{14}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{5}{18}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{5}{8}[/itex])+...+

while some terms do cancel, I do not see a patter out of the first 7 terms...but like I said...enlighten me

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  11. Aug 13, 2012 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you really need someone to tell you that
    [tex] \sum_{k=1}^N \frac{1}{2k} = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{k=1}^N \frac{1}{k}\;?[/tex]

RGV

12. Aug 14, 2012 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The pattern may indeed be a little difficult to see like this, but notice, for example, that [itex]\frac{5}{6}+\frac{5}{6}-\frac{5}{3}=0[/itex] and [itex]\frac{5}{8}+\frac{5}{8}-\frac{5}{4}=0[/itex].

To formally reorganize the sum so that the cancellations become obvious, first look at the finite sum and apply the second hint I gave you to both the 5/(2(n+2)) and -5(n+1) terms. After reorganizing the finite sum to get the desired cancellations, take the limit as N->infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook