1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use ray tracing to determine the location of the image

1. Jul 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object is 6.0 cm in front of a converging lens with a focal length of 10 cm. Use ray tracing to determine the location of the image. Is the image upright or inverted? Is it real or virtual?

3. The attempt at a solution

According to my ray tracing....there is no image at all...i'm pretty sure that this is correct, but i just wanted to make sure that what i'm doing is correct??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

Now way to tell without seeing your drawing.

4. Jul 12, 2009 #3
    well the focal point is behind the object...
    then when drawing the ray parallel to the axis, the special ray will refract through the far focal point...
    the ray through the center of the lens, the ray does not bend, just continues through the lens at a straight line...
    these two lines never converge...
    and then the ray through the near focal point...well you can't do that since the focal point is behing the object itself...
    thus no lines ever converge

5. Jul 12, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

When using ray diagrams to find the image, be sure to extend the final rays in both directions. In your example the rays will converge on the same side of the lens as the object.

6. Jul 12, 2009 #5
    how could they converge on the same side of the lens as the object
    if i draw the ray through the near focal point (which is behind the image itself) the ray would be pointed downward...
    the two other rays, if drawn in the same direction (behind the image) they don't converge

7. Jul 12, 2009 #6
    here is an image of my ray tracing

Attached Files:

8. Jul 12, 2009 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  9. Jul 12, 2009 #8
    oh wow...i didn't know i could do that...thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook