1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use taylor's THeorem to determine the accuracy

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    Use taylor's THeorem to determine the accuracy of the approximation: cos(.3) ~=1 - (.3)^2 / 2! + (.3)^4 / 4! when i use taylors theorem, i use (.3)^4 / 4! which gets me 2.03e-10 but the asnwer is R<=2.03e-5

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Series

(.3)^4/4! is not equal to 2.03e-10. What form of the remainder term are you using?

4. Apr 29, 2009 #3

Okay, it should be (.3)^5 / 5!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. Apr 29, 2009 #4

But i still dont get it, why did i get hte right answer and ignore the f^(n+1)(c) of the formula? (Lagrange error bound) The derivative should have been cos , so i must have picked cos 0. Why?

6. Apr 30, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The error does NOT involve f^(n+1)(c). It involves f^(n+1)(x) for some number between 0 and c (here .3). Since you don't know that number, you use the largest possible value of f^(n+1)(x) between 0 and c to get an upper bound on the error. Since cosine is decreasing, its largest value is cos(0)= 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook