1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use these equations to find dz/dx and dz/dy of the following

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, we are supposed to find dz/dx and dz/dy of the equation below using these:

dz/dx=-[itex]\frac{\frac{dF}{dx}}{\frac{dF}{dz}}[/itex]

dz/dy=-[itex]\frac{\frac{dF}{dy}}{\frac{dF}{dz}}[/itex]

The equation is

x[itex]^{6}[/itex]+y[itex]^{7}[/itex]+z[itex]^{5}[/itex]=2xyz

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty confident I can figure out the question if someone can just help me figure out what F is in the 2 equations. I know that F usually refers to the antiderivative of a function, but in this case, there are variables and stuff on either side of the equation, so I don't even know how to find said function. It seems very similar to implicit differentiation, but the opposite. And I've never heard of implicit anti-differentiation.

Just in case it could be useful, I found dz/dx and dz/dy via normal implicit differentiation:

dz/dx=[itex]\frac{2yz-6x^{5}}{5z^{4}-2yx}[/itex]

dz/dy=[itex]\frac{2xz-7y^{6}}{5z^{4}-2xy}[/itex]

Thanks in advance for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##F(x,y,z) = x^6+y^7+z^5-2xyz##. The formulas you are using apply to an equation of the form ##F(x,y,z)=\hbox{ constant.}##

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3
    OK, thanks for the help. That clears everything up for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook