Username of a (banned) user always visible in "Members Online" panel

• Bug
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, a minor bug is causing a username to always be shown in the online list. This username has been there for at least two months, possibly more. The user does not think it is a bug, and any banned member logged in will show up in the online list.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A minor bug. I have been seeing this for at least two months, possibly more:

1675541785153.png

This username is always there in the Members Online panel. I remember it distinctively, primarily because of the strike-through, and secondly because the username has a portion similar to the name of a state in my country. It just stays there, moving up and down in the list. Happens on all browsers, even after clearing cache/cookies.

I don't have concrete evidence to prove that the username has been there for a long time because I haven't taken any screenshots before, and PF doesn't show this panel when not logged in, so the Internet Archive doesn't show it either. You have to take my word for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
This genius feature of PF allows plausible deniability when one is logged in when one should be at work, family gathering, etc… :wink:

I have periodically noticed the user in question.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes russ_watters, anorlunda and Wrichik Basu
I don't think it is a bug. Any banned member logged in, I believe, shows in the online list.

Likes dlgoff, mfb and Greg Bernhardt
StevieTNZ said:
I don't think it is a bug. Any banned member logged in, I believe, shows in the online list.
I thought banned users aren't allowed to even sign in! I forgot that there are different levels of ban, temporary and permanent. My bad.

They can sign in (and will show up as logged in user), they just cannot post anything.

Likes Wrichik Basu
I figured if I left my laptop on with a PF tab open, even in the background, it would show me online. I'd test that, but whenever I check if I am online, it shows that I am.... :biggrin:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes phinds, Wrichik Basu, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
I must be the most important member because whenever I look, I'm always first in the list. :smile:

1675821749974.png

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, Wrichik Basu, BillTre and 1 other person
Whenever I open my refrigerator, the light is on...

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, phinds and DrGreg
Mark44 said:
Mine burns out sometimes.

Mark44 said:
I stayed in a flat once which had an "intelligent" thermostat which obviously had a motion sensor because its screen lit up whenever you walked past. It was really intrusive and slightly creepy, like it wanted my attention every time I went past. It was between the living spaces and the toilet, and I really don't feel like I need to be aware of my thermostat setting every time I need to take a leak...

Ibix said:
"intelligent" thermostat

Turn the heat up a bit, will you?
main-qimg-20ef7208288fe952347da0c21475e0d3.png

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, Mark44, phinds and 1 other person
Daisy, Daisy, I'll turn on the heat at ten,
You're half frozen until it gets to then.
I won't let you change my timing,
Until I decide I'm finding
That I know your
Habits for
All your time in your den.

1. Why is the username of a banned user always visible in the "Members Online" panel?

The username of a banned user is always visible in the "Members Online" panel because the panel displays all users who are currently logged in, regardless of their account status. This allows for transparency and accountability within the community.

2. Can the username of a banned user be removed from the "Members Online" panel?

No, the username of a banned user cannot be removed from the "Members Online" panel. As mentioned, the panel displays all logged in users, and removing a banned user's username would go against the principle of transparency.

3. Does the visibility of a banned user's username in the "Members Online" panel affect their ban status?

No, the visibility of a banned user's username in the "Members Online" panel does not affect their ban status. The ban is still in effect and the user is unable to access the site or participate in any activities.

4. Is it possible to distinguish between a banned user and a regular user in the "Members Online" panel?

Yes, it is possible to distinguish between a banned user and a regular user in the "Members Online" panel. Banned users will have their username displayed in a different color or with a specific symbol to indicate their ban status.

5. Will the username of a banned user be removed from the "Members Online" panel after their ban is lifted?

Yes, the username of a banned user will be removed from the "Members Online" panel once their ban is lifted. This ensures that only active and allowed users are displayed in the panel.