Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a DC source to generate a large magnetic field in a coil

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    I am a mechanical engineer and I'm working on a project in which I need to generate a large magnetic field in a coil of wire. The current system uses AC power (480V or 230V) and I am exploring the possibility of using a DC battery source.

The coil is has an OD of 72mm, an ID of 62mm and a height of 12mm. I need to generate around 1050 Amp-turns. I am considering using a 12V 30Ah battery.

I need help determining what components I need besides the battery. I need the electrical system to do two main things:
    - release the current to the coil for a specified amount of time (< 1sec.) (timed switch?)
    - reverse the direction of the current in order to change the polarity of the field (this could be a switch for each direction.

I believe I would need to have some component to dissipate the power once it has traveled through the coil, like a resistor. I'm also curious if there is certain bounds I should keep the resistance and required current within (ei. would a configuration with a coil resistance of 0.2 Ohms and requiring 70A be no good)

I appreciate any insight you can give me, let me know if something is unclear or other parameters are needed.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted