DC generator: Induced EMF of a single coil armature

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for the induced emf in a simple DC generator. The first equation calculates the emf based on the magnetic field, length and width of the coil, and angular velocity. The second equation rewrites it in terms of rotation per second, taking into account the diameter and rotation per second. However, there is a contradiction because the two equations are not the same. It is revealed that the hidden factor of 2 is the diameter of the coil, which was mistakenly assumed to be equal to the width. This leads to a discussion about the two equations and their respective meanings.
kidsasd987
Hi.

I am reading a textbook about simple DC generator. The situation is if we are rotating a single armature coil within a constant field B,
the induced emf will be (if we are to only think about the magnitude), emf= B*l*W*omegaB = magnetic field
l = length of the coil
W = width of the coil
omega = angular velocity of the coil
However, if we are re-writing that equation in terms of RPS (Rotation per second)
we get

emf = B*I*v v = pi*D*n
D = Diameter which is equal to W.
n = Rotation per second

However, these two equations are not the same because

B*l*W*omega = B*I*v

-> W*omega = v
-> W*omega = pi*D*n

using n = omega / 2pi

-> W*omega = W/2 * omega
-> W = W/2
This is a contradiction so I am not sure at what point I got these equations wrong.

Engineering news on Phys.org
kidsasd987 said:
emf = B*I*v
Think carefully about this equation and seek the hidden factor of 2 😉.

cnh1995 said:
Think carefully about this equation and seek the hidden factor of 2 😉.

Thanks. I was thinking that D is actually r. then it makes sense but since I was given with the equation

pi*D*n
D = 2r = W

I am confused.

kidsasd987 said:
emf= B*l*W*omega
This is the emf induced in one "loop".
kidsasd987 said:
emf = B*I*v
This is the emf induced in ...?

1. What is a DC generator?

A DC generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is based on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a conductor moving in a magnetic field will experience a force, resulting in the generation of an electric current.

2. How does a DC generator work?

A DC generator consists of a stationary magnetic field and a rotating armature. As the armature rotates, the conductors on it cut through the magnetic field, inducing an electromotive force (EMF) in the armature. This EMF causes a current to flow through the armature, which can then be used to power electrical devices.

3. What is the induced EMF of a single coil armature?

The induced EMF of a single coil armature is the voltage generated in a single coil of the armature as it rotates in the magnetic field. This voltage is directly proportional to the speed of rotation and the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How is the induced EMF of a single coil armature calculated?

The induced EMF of a single coil armature can be calculated using the formula: E = NBAωsinθ, where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the coil, B is the magnetic flux density, A is the area of the coil, ω is the angular velocity of the armature, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the armature.

5. What factors affect the induced EMF of a single coil armature?

The induced EMF of a single coil armature is affected by the speed of rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the size and shape of the coil. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and resistance in the circuit.