Using a DVD/Blu-ray Changer for game disks

• Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, a disk changer will not work with a PC to play games or media. It can be used to copy disks as iso images, but it is not necessary to use a virtual disk mounter to make them appear as a disk. A 2TB drive will hold 40 bluray discs, which is more than enough for most people. Movies can be played the same way as they are played on a player, with the anticipation of swapping them in and out.
Pattonias
Has anyone tried, or heard of someone trying, to use a disk changer with their PC?

I have seen several DVD/CD changers that can be used as a standard player on your television, but I haven't found anything about using one for games or media on a computer. I'm wondering if one can be configured as a standard external drive.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I wouldn't have thought they would have sata/IDE outputs, just video - so no

You could just copy the disks as iso images onto a disk and then use a virtual disk mounter to make each one appear as a drive

lol, I could just copy them all to my HD, but I would like to do this without breaking the DRM. It isn't because there are no other ways to do this, but because this is how I would like to do this. I would like to be able to play DVDs, Games, and maybe Blu-ray from the changer without ever switching disks by hand.

Pattonias said:
lol, I could just copy them all to my HD, but I would like to do this without breaking the DRM. It isn't because there are no other ways to do this, but because this is how I would like to do this. I would like to be able to play DVDs, Games, and maybe Blu-ray from the changer without ever switching disks by hand.

200 disk blue-ray changer: http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/05/sony-intros-the-hes-v1000-media-server-and-200-disc-blu-ray-play/

but it probably won't mount games, and other files, only video, music and possibly photos.

Mounting .iso from an HD could do the job without any elaborate changers.

If you bought your games through Steam or some other online game download service, you could circumevent all of those pesky disks altogether. That's how I've bought games as of late, and it's really quite convenient as long as you have a good internet connection.

For your current disks, well you're stuck doing it the "old fashioned" way...

Mech_Engineer said:
For your current disks, well you're stuck doing it the "old fashioned" way...

Yes, but as was mentioned, you're only stuck doing it once to rip the image. After that...

With 2 TB drives starting at $150, it makes little sense to spend several hundred dollars on a bluray disk changer instead. A 2 TB drive will hold 40 bluray discs. Surely that's enough for your favorites! If you regularly play more than 40 different games that'll only fit on bluray, you may have some other issues which need attention!

As for movies, I like the anticipation of swapping them in and out of the player! Same sort of feeling I used to get when I cleaned vinyl records and the needle before listening to a really stellar album.

1. How does a DVD/Blu-ray changer work for game disks?

A DVD/Blu-ray changer is a device that can hold multiple game disks at once, typically between 3-10 disks. It works by allowing you to load the disks into the changer and then selecting the specific disk you want to use. The changer will then automatically eject and load the selected disk into your gaming console, saving you the hassle of manually swapping disks.

2. Can I use a DVD/Blu-ray changer for any gaming console?

Most DVD/Blu-ray changers are designed to work with specific gaming consoles, such as PlayStation or Xbox. It is important to check the compatibility of the changer with your gaming console before making a purchase.

3. Does using a DVD/Blu-ray changer affect the performance of my games?

No, using a DVD/Blu-ray changer does not affect the performance of your games. The changer simply acts as a storage and loading device for your game disks, and does not impact the gameplay experience.

4. Are there any downsides to using a DVD/Blu-ray changer for game disks?

One potential downside is that the changer may take up more space than simply storing individual game disks. Additionally, if the changer malfunctions or breaks, it can be more difficult to replace or repair compared to a single game disk.

5. Can I use a DVD/Blu-ray changer for both movies and games?

Some DVD/Blu-ray changers may have the capability to store and play both movies and games, but it is important to check the specifications and compatibility of the changer before using it for both purposes. Additionally, it is recommended to use separate changers for movies and games to avoid any potential damage to the disks.