Using a Surface Integral for Mathematical Analysis of the Area of an Island

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
daphnelee-mh
Messages
62
Reaction score
4
Homework Statement
(Attached below)
Relevant Equations
A=sqrt[1+(dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2]dA
1593786915216.png

I am not clearly understand what the question requests for, is it okay to continue doing like this ? Kindly advise, thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The shape of the island is an upside-down paraboloid. The integral looks like everything is OK except the ##r## limits should be reversed. You want to integrate from the smallest to largest values of ##r## to get a positive answer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: daphnelee-mh
LCKurtz said:
The shape of the island is an upside-down paraboloid. The integral looks like everything is OK except the ##r## limits should be reversed. You want to integrate from the smallest to largest values of ##r## to get a positive answer.
I believe you're right. I looked at it wrong.