Using Bisection Method to Find Points of Intersection for y=x^3-2x+1 and y=x^2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
gomes.
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
[itex]y=x^3-2x+1[/itex]

[itex]y=x^2[/itex]


The question says to use the bisection method to find the points of intersection of the 2 curves. I know how to use the bisection method to find the root of an equation (like on this page http://kr.cs.ait.ac.th/~radok/math/mat7/step7.htm ), but how would I use it to find the point of intersection? Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well let [tex](x_i,y_i)[/tex] be a point of intersection. Can you use those curves to derive an equation for which either [tex]x_i[/tex] or [tex]y_i[/tex] is a root?
 
gomes. said:
question says to use the bisection method to find the points of intersection of the 2 curves. I know how to use the bisection method to find the root of an equation (like on this page http://kr.cs.ait.ac.th/~radok/math/mat7/step7.htm ), but how would I use it to find the point of intersection? Thanks.

What do you get if you subtract one equation from the other?
 
Last edited by a moderator: