Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using complex numbers for evaluating integrals

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    How can I use complex numbers to evaluate an integral? For instance I'm reading a book on complex numbers and it says that to evaluate the integral from 0 to pi { e^2x cos 4x dx }, I must take the real part of the integral from 0 to pi { e^((2 + 4i)x) dx}.

It totally skips how you do that. I don't see how taking the real part of the second integral relates to the first one. If I try to integrate e^((2 + 4i)x) and then take the real part, I eventually get:

Re(z) = 1/5 e^2x (1/2 cos 4x + sin 4x)

But I don't see any relation whatsoever, or how they did this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi genjix! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    show us how you did this :smile:

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    Well I went onto #math on Freenode and someone gave me the missing puzzle piece. Basically that Re(integral f(x)) = integral Re(f(x)). With that in hand, everything is obvious:

Take the real part of e^2x e^4ix
    Re(e^2x e^4ix) = e^2x (cos 4x + i sin 4x) ... from de moivre and because the Re(integral f(x)) = integral Re(f(x)), we can say that Re(integral e^2x e^4ix) = integral Re(e^2x e^4ix) = integral Re(e^2x (cos 4x + i sin 4x)) = integral e^2x cos 4x

now the integral e^2x e^4ix = integral e^(2 + 4i)x and to integrate exponentials we have the usual integral e^cx = 1/c e^cx

so we get:
    1/(2 + 4i) e^{(2 + 4i)x}
    http://mathbin.net/110072 [Broken] (multiply top and bottom of fraction by (2 - 4i) on first line)
    now we have the bottom line to be evaluated from 0 to +pi (as per the original integral)
    cos 4pi = cos 0 = 1
    sin 4pi = sin 0 = 0

so we get the final line as being:
    1/5 e^2pi (1/2 cos 4pi + sin 4 pi) - 1/5 e^0 (1/2 cos 0 + sin 0) = 1/10 (e^2 - 1)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Oct 16, 2012 #4
    I just did, but my post isn't showing up? I try to click back in my browser and submit it, but it is saying I've made a duplicate post strangely.

I found someone on #math in Freenode who told me that the Re(integral f(x)) = integral Re(f(x)) which is the missing puzzle piece I needed to work everything out. The post I've tried to make here shows all my working out for others to see how it is done.

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi genjix! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
    yes, that's right :smile:

(if you're still unsure, try submitting your proof again)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook