Using Conservation of Energy to Analyze a Potential Energy Graph

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
chuuke
Messages
3
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


I'm trying to figure out how to do D) and relate time to this potential energy graph.
Screenshot (27).png


Homework Equations


All I really know is that F = -dU/dx

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to do something with F = ma
and a = d2x/ dt2
and then set the - derivative of U(x) equal to the above equation
but I can't really get an answer, and am quite frustrated cause I don't know how to go about answering this.
 
Attachments
  • Screenshot (27).png
    Screenshot (27).png
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,872
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the conservation of energy. When released from B, what is going to be the velocity at any point? How is that related to position?

Also, what position do you have as the turning point? Based on that, what kind of motion do you expect?