Using couette flow/viscosity to find force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a student traveling in a car with bald tires on a rainy day. The car's tires are not making contact with the road due to a layer of pure water 0.1 mm thick. The conversation delves into the equations involved in determining the braking force needed in this scenario, including viscosity and τ=μ(∂v/∂y) and τ=F/A. The student is struggling with the problem and is unsure of how to approach it, but offers a solution of F=0.09 lb. However, after further discussion, it is determined that the correct answer should be 3.6 lbs for the total braking force.
reed2100
1. It is a rainy day in Houston. You are a poor student (or TA or professor) with an old car that has bald tires. You are traveling at 60 miles/hour and you slam on the brakes (i.e., your wheels are no
longer turning. Assume there is a layer of pure water 0.1 mm thick between your tires and the
road, i.e., the rubber is not meeting the road. Assume each of your tires contacts the water layer
over a rectangle 10 cm wide and 15 cm long.

Homework Equations

τ=μ(∂v/∂y) ?
τ=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

y = .1mm = .01cm = .0001m
A= 10cm(15cm) = 150cm^2 = .015m^2
v = 60mph = 2.682 m/s
μ= 1 cp = .001 N*s/m^2

My professor posted the notes online and I looked at them again, but it's confusing me because he mentioned integration and differential equations which I know how to do but don't see where to begin on, and there was also (∂v/∂y) = vmax/ymax. I've been doing ODE's in my engineering math class but we're always given a general solution or an ODE to work with; with this I don't see a function to integrate or anything.

I tried this:

F/.015m^2 = (.001 N*s/m^2) * ([2.682m/s]/.0001m)
F = .402 N * (.225 lb/N)
F = .09 lb

I have no idea if it's right because these aren't problems out of a book with the solutions or online with feedback, I'll only know once it's graded. I don't understand how to do these couette flow/viscosity problems, so any help would be appreciated. Given the context of the problem I feel like .09 lb of braking force is probably extremely wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, your velocity is off by a factor of 10.. it should be 60 mph = 26.83 m/s, which would then make your force PER TIRE F=0.9 lb. The answer would then be 4F to be the total force because you have 4 tires which gives the answer Ftot=3.6lbs

1. How does couette flow work?

Couette flow is a type of fluid flow in which a fluid is confined between two parallel plates and is subjected to a shearing force. This shearing force causes the fluid to move in layers, with the top layer moving faster than the bottom layer. This flow pattern is known as a shear flow and can be used to study the effects of viscosity on the fluid.

2. What is viscosity and how does it relate to couette flow?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. In couette flow, the viscosity of the fluid plays a crucial role in determining the force exerted on the fluid by the moving plates. The greater the viscosity, the more force is required to maintain the shear flow between the plates.

3. Can couette flow be used to find the force exerted on a fluid?

Yes, couette flow can be used to calculate the force exerted on a fluid by the moving plates. By measuring the velocity of the fluid and the distance between the plates, the shear stress can be calculated using the formula τ = η(dv/dy), where τ is the shear stress, η is the viscosity of the fluid, dv/dy is the velocity gradient, and d is the distance between the plates. The force can then be calculated by multiplying the shear stress by the surface area of the plates.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the force in couette flow?

The distance between the plates in couette flow has a direct effect on the force exerted on the fluid. As the distance between the plates increases, the shear stress decreases, resulting in a lower force on the fluid. This is because a larger distance between the plates means a larger velocity gradient, which results in a smaller shear stress.

5. What are some real-world applications of using couette flow to find force?

Couette flow and the concept of viscosity are important in many real-world applications. Some examples include the flow of blood in arteries, the flow of oil in pipelines, and the flow of lava during volcanic eruptions. In these situations, understanding the force exerted on the fluid is crucial in predicting and controlling the flow. Couette flow is also used in the design of devices such as viscometers and rheometers, which measure the viscosity of fluids.