1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in gauge pressure using viscous flow through a pipe.

1. Jul 26, 2015 #1

KAC

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water flows at 0.25 L/s through a 9.0-m-long garden hose 2.0 cm in diameter that is lying flat on the ground. The temperature of the water is 20 ∘C. What is the gauge pressure of the water where it enters the hose?

Side question: does the velocity of the water flow need to be converted to m/s rather than L/s? Upon conversion this becomes m^3/s, and I am not sure if this is suitable units for the velocity.

R = .01m
    n = 1.0*10^-3 Pa*s
    L = 9m
    v= 0.25L/s

2. Relevant equations
    Q = (pi*R^4*p)/8*n*L (p = pressure change; n = coefficient of viscosity, in this case 1.0*10^-3 due to the temperature of the water; L= length of the tube, 9m; R = .01m)
    Q = v(avg)*A (A = cross sectional area, of a tube is pi*r^2)
    v(avg) = (R^2/8nL)/p.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am unsure of where to begin. The first equation I would think to use is v(avg) = (R^2/8nL)*p so that I could plug this into Q = v(avg)A but the first equation requires p and that is what I am solving the problem for. To start, would it be suitable to use the velocity given and change the units to m^3/s? If I take this route, I get:

v = 0.25L/s
    1000L = 1m^3
    0.25L/s * 1m^3/1000L = 0.00025 m^3/s = v

Q = v*A; A = pi*R^2
    A = pi* 0.01^2; A = 0.000314 m^2
    Q = 0.00025m^3/s * 0.000314 m^2; Q = 7.85 * 10^-8

Q = (pi*R^4*p)/8nL
    p= [(8nL)*Q]/pi*R^4
    p = [(8 * (1.0*10^-3 Pa*s)) * 9m]/pi * 0.01^4
    p = (0.072)/3.14*10^-8
    p = 2292993 or 2.293 * 10 ^6.

This answer is incorrect and I am weary of the steps I took to get there. Can someone please point me in the correct direction? The first concern I have is converting L/s for velocity. Should I be leaving velocity in terms of L/s or changing them into m^3/s as I have done here? Also, is this velocity able to be used at all? The formula calls for average velocity, but with the formula for average velocity, I am unable to solve because it calls for the use of p, which I do not have.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2015 #2
    What do you think the units of velocity are?

Chet

4. Jul 26, 2015 #3

KAC

Chet,

I think that the units of velocity should be m/s. Since it is a fluid and not an object in this case, I am assuming that m^3/s is suitable to use?

5. Jul 26, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are m3/s the same as m/s?

You're mixing rate of flow with flow velocity, which are two different concepts.

If you had carried the units in the calculation of Q = A * v as you should have, this would also tell you that rate of flow cannot be substituted for flow velocity.

6. Jul 26, 2015 #5
    So, out of the whole list of the symbols you have shown, which one does the 0.25 l/ s correspond to?

7. Jul 26, 2015 #6

KAC

If I convert L to m3, it corresponds to Q, the flow rate of the fluid. So in this case, I don't actually need to solve for Q because this is already given?
    After conversions Q = 2.5*10-4; if I plug this into my equation:

p= [(8nL)*Q]/pi*R^4
    p=[(8*(1.0*10-3 Pa*s)*9m)*2.5*10-4 m3/s]/pi*0.01m4
    p= 1.8*10-5/3.14*10-8
    p = 573.2 Pa

Does my form appear to be correct here?

8. Jul 26, 2015 #7
    I haven't checked your arithmetic, but this now looks right. You should check the reynolds number to confirm that the flow is laminar. If it is turbulent, then a different equation prevails, and pressure drop is larger.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted