1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Current Density to find Total Current

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose a wire has a radius [itex] R[/itex] and a current density of [itex]J = I_0 \frac{x^2} {R^4}\hat{k}[/itex]. Taking the wire to have cylindrical geometry, calculate the total current flowing down the wire, defined as [itex]I = \int J \cdot \vec{dA} [/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]J = I_0 \frac{x^2} {R^4}\hat{k}[/itex]
    [itex]I = \int J \cdot \vec{dA} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Here, I assumed that dA = R dR dx . I then attempted to do the Integral. I assumed Io was a constant, so I pulled that out of the Integral, giving me...

[itex]I = I_o\int x^2\cdot \vec{dx} \int R^{-3} \cdot \vec{dR} [/itex]

Evaluating, I got...

[itex]I = I_o\frac{x^3}{3}\frac{R^{-2}}{-2}\hat{k}[/itex]

I have no idea if this is right or wrong. I don't even know if I'm on the right track. Please, any sort of help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi slavito! welcome to pf! :smile:

i don't understand what x is :confused:

does x mean distance from the centre (which we would usually call "r")?

or is x one of the usual x,y,z coordinates (with the wire pointing along the z axis)?

(and R is a constant, so you can't have dR)

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming the wire axis and the current run along the z axis and the wire axis is centered at x=y=0:

what is a sliver of area of width dx and height = distance between 2 points on the circle at x? What is then the current within that area?

Tiny-tim is of course right about R and he's right about the need to define your problem fully. Most posters for some reason don't post the problem as handed to them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook