Using Current Density to find Total Current

In summary: You may have reasons. But if you have the problem and the setup in front of you, you can often answer the questions yourself and save everyone some time. Of course if you're being lazy, then I'm being a nag.
slavito

Homework Statement

Suppose a wire has a radius [itex] R[/itex] and a current density of [itex]J = I_0 \frac{x^2} {R^4}\hat{k}[/itex]. Taking the wire to have cylindrical geometry, calculate the total current flowing down the wire, defined as [itex]I = \int J \cdot \vec{dA} [/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]J = I_0 \frac{x^2} {R^4}\hat{k}[/itex]
[itex]I = \int J \cdot \vec{dA} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, I assumed that dA = R dR dx . I then attempted to do the Integral. I assumed Io was a constant, so I pulled that out of the Integral, giving me...

[itex]I = I_o\int x^2\cdot \vec{dx} \int R^{-3} \cdot \vec{dR} [/itex]

Evaluating, I got...

[itex]I = I_o\frac{x^3}{3}\frac{R^{-2}}{-2}\hat{k}[/itex]

I have no idea if this is right or wrong. I don't even know if I'm on the right track. Please, any sort of help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi slavito! welcome to pf! :smile:

i don't understand what x is :confused:

does x mean distance from the centre (which we would usually call "r")?

or is x one of the usual x,y,z coordinates (with the wire pointing along the z axis)?

(and R is a constant, so you can't have dR)

Assuming the wire axis and the current run along the z axis and the wire axis is centered at x=y=0:

what is a sliver of area of width dx and height = distance between 2 points on the circle at x? What is then the current within that area?

Tiny-tim is of course right about R and he's right about the need to define your problem fully. Most posters for some reason don't post the problem as handed to them.

What is current density and how is it related to total current?

Current density is a measure of the amount of electric current flowing through a given area. It is related to total current through the formula: I = JA, where I is the total current, J is the current density, and A is the cross-sectional area through which the current is flowing.

How is current density calculated?

Current density is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the current by the cross-sectional area through which it is flowing. The formula is J = I/A, where J is the current density, I is the current, and A is the cross-sectional area.

Why is it important to use current density when calculating total current?

Using current density allows for a more accurate calculation of total current, as it takes into account the varying cross-sectional areas through which the current is flowing. This is especially important in situations where the cross-sectional area is not uniform.

What are the units of current density?

The units of current density are amperes per square meter (A/m2). However, other units such as amperes per square centimeter (A/cm2) may also be used.

Can current density be negative?

Yes, current density can be negative. This occurs when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of the cross-sectional area. In this case, the current density will have a negative value, but the total current will still be positive.