Using different IDEs (Anaconda, IDLE) for Python 2.7, 3.5 Respectively

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of IDLE and Anaconda Navigator/Jupyter IDEs for Python 3.7 and 2.7, with the speaker having difficulty finding similar data analysis packages for 3.x in IDLE. They mention potentially using Visual Studio Code or PyCharm for Python work, and express interest in the new collaboration between Anaconda and JetBrains for a PyCharm for Anaconda option. The conversation also briefly touches on the possibility of doing machine learning with SQL Server 2017.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
For complicated reasons it would be convenient for me to work with both IDEs. I can work with IDLE, but I get error messages when I try to work with Anaconda.
Hi,
I would like to be able to use both IDLE and Anaconda Navigator/Jupyter IDEs for Python 3.7 (64-bit), 2.7 respectfully. I can open up and work with IDLE. I understand Python 2.x is for legacy systems mostly but I spent a lot of time using data analysis packages in/with Anaconda for 2.7 and I am having trouble finding similar packages or just similar Data packs with IDLE for 3.x.

Alternatively, if someone knows of training for Data Science/Analysis using IDLE, Python 3.x , I would appreciate refs. I am just having trouble going through a maze of setups.

Technology news on Phys.org
I use Visual Studio Code, but then I don't do a lot of work in Python any more. When I did, I used PyCharm which I found excellent.

This may seem a bit off-topic, but I have recently noticed the headline "Anaconda and JetBrains Join Forces to Launch ‘PyCharm for Anaconda’" - if I was getting back into Python for data science I would definitely check this out.

Likes WWGD
Thanks Pbuk,
Have you heard about doing ML with SQL Server 2017 (Bottom Option):

No, I have no experience of ML. I just had a quick look at some of the MS stuff, it looks as though it could make sense in a production environment (where SQL Server is always at home) but I would hate to have to set up a development environment for it - in most SQL Server dev scenarios there is someone who is paid to do that for you!

You might be interested in this survey - note that JetBrains own PyCharm so it is not independent, and I would never use a survey for anything other than highlighting things I hadn't paid much attention to anyway.

Likes WWGD

1. What is an IDE?

An IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is a software application that provides a comprehensive set of tools for software development. This includes features such as code editing, debugging, and project management.

2. What is Anaconda?

Anaconda is an open-source distribution of the Python and R programming languages. It includes a collection of over 1,500 data science packages and tools, as well as the Anaconda Navigator, which acts as a graphical user interface for managing these packages.

3. What is IDLE?

IDLE (Integrated Development and Learning Environment) is the default IDE for Python, included with the standard installation of the language. It provides basic features for editing, running, and debugging Python code.

4. What are the main differences between using Anaconda and IDLE for Python development?

The main difference is that Anaconda is a more comprehensive tool, providing a larger collection of packages and tools for data science, while IDLE is a simpler and more basic IDE. Another difference is that Anaconda is a separate program that needs to be installed, while IDLE is included with the standard Python installation.

5. Can I use both Anaconda and IDLE for Python development?

Yes, you can use both Anaconda and IDLE for Python development. However, it is important to note that using multiple IDEs can sometimes cause conflicts and it is recommended to stick to one IDE for consistency. Additionally, using Anaconda's package manager, conda, can sometimes cause issues when installing packages through IDLE.