Using E-L equations to get through a mountain range

• Thread starter SteDolan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the conversation discusses using calculus of variations to find the optimal path through a mountain range with a given scalar field for height. The method involves setting up a functional to be minimized and using the Euler–Lagrange equations to solve for the path. However, there may be limitations and alternative approaches to consider.
SteDolan
I'm just trying to get my head around calculus of variations so I gave myself a simple example to work with:

Suppose I want to get between two points (a and b) through a mountain range with height described by the scalar field h(x,y) whilst staying as low as possible. I want to know what shaped path I should take.

So I start by saying I want to minimise:

[itex]\int h(x,y) ds = \int h(x,y) \sqrt{1 + \dot{y^2}} [/itex]

Which I can solve using the Euler–Lagrange equations.

Noting that h and ds are not explicitly dependent on [itex]\dot{y}[/itex] and y respectively I think the E-L equation can reduce to:

[itex]\frac{\dot{y}}{1 + \dot{y^2}} \frac{dh(x,y)}{dx} = \frac{dh(x,y)}{dy} [/itex]

Assuming some form of h(x,y), my difficulty is going from here to my path through the mountain range, y(x). I can solve the following quadratic in [itex]\dot{y}[/itex] to get [itex]\dot{y}(x,y)[/itex] but I'm unsure about the following integral to get to y(x). At first I thought I could ignore the y in the h(x,y) when I'm integrating with respect to x but since I'm after the path y(x) I can hardly say they are independent.

I just wanted to check that I've had the right idea up to this point and that I can't use any arguments to justify ignoring the y in h(x,y) when I've got ∫f(h(x,y))dx, meaning I'm stuck with a horrible implicit integration by parts.

Thanks for any help :-) Sorry my post is a little convoluted.

Physics news on Phys.org
SteDolan said:
I'm just trying to get my head around calculus of variations so I gave myself a simple example to work with:

Suppose I want to get between two points (a and b) through a mountain range with height described by the scalar field h(x,y) whilst staying as low as possible. I want to know what shaped path I should take.
So I start by saying I want to minimise:

[itex]\int h(x,y) ds = \int h(x,y) \sqrt{1 + \dot{y^2}} [/itex]

That's not the problem you think you are solving. You want to find the path which minimizes
[tex]
\max\{h(x(t),y(t))\}
[/tex]
over all continuous paths [itex](x(t),y(t))[/itex] between given end points. That path might not be expressible in the form [itex]y = f(x)[/itex], and in any case you won't necessarily find it by applying variational principles to the functional
[tex]
J[x,y] =\int_0^1 h(x(t),y(t))\,dt
[/tex]

(Parametrizing by arclength is a bad idea in variational problems, since the length of the path (and hence the limits of the integral) will change determine on the path taken.)

A problem which is in principle solvable by using EL is that of minimizing
[tex]
\int_0^1 |\dot h|\,\mathrm{d}t
[/tex]
which minimizes total change in altitude. By the chain rule
[tex]
\dot h = \frac{\partial h}{\partial x} \dot x + \frac{\partial h}{\partial y} \dot y
[/tex]
so you can take
[tex]
L(x, \dot x, y, \dot y) = \sqrt{\left( \frac{\partial h}{\partial x}(x,y) \dot x + \frac{\partial h}{\partial y}(x,y) \dot y \right)^2}[/tex]
and the Euler-lagrange equations are
[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x}\right) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = 0 \\
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot y}\right) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial y} = 0
[/tex]

Note that [itex]L[/itex] can depend expressly on [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] through the derivatives of [itex]h[/itex].

1. How can E-L equations be used to get through a mountain range?

E-L equations, also known as Euler-Lagrange equations, can be used to find the shortest path through a mountain range by minimizing the energy required to traverse the terrain. This is achieved by setting up a mathematical model that represents the energy needed to travel through the mountain range and using the E-L equations to find the optimal path.

2. What factors are taken into account when using E-L equations to get through a mountain range?

E-L equations take into account the slope, curvature, and roughness of the terrain, as well as the energy required to climb or descend. It also considers the weight of the individual or object traveling through the mountain range.

3. Can E-L equations be used for any type of terrain?

E-L equations can be used for any type of terrain, as long as the necessary data and parameters are available. However, it is most commonly used for mountain ranges due to their complex and challenging topography.

4. Are there any limitations to using E-L equations for traversing a mountain range?

One limitation is that E-L equations assume a continuous, smooth surface and may not account for obstacles such as boulders or trees. Additionally, it may not consider external factors such as weather conditions or human-made structures.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from using E-L equations for traversing a mountain range?

The accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the data and parameters used in the mathematical model. With accurate data, E-L equations can provide a very close approximation of the optimal path through a mountain range. However, it should be noted that it is still a mathematical model and may not always reflect the exact real-life conditions of the terrain.