Using first principles, how to get the equation of motion?

In summary, the equation of motion for a mass (m) on a spring, subjected to a linear resistance force R, a restoring force S, and a driving force G(t) is given by d2x/dt2+ 2K(dx/dt) + Ω2x = F(t), where K is the spring constant, Ω is the angular frequency, and F(t) is the applied force. The restoring force is related to x and always directed towards the equilibrium point, while the resistive force is a linear function of speed and acts in the opposite direction of the velocity. The sum of all forces can be expressed as ma = Applied force + Resistive force + Restorative Spring force.
Nicci
<< Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical forums, so no Template is shown >>

Show, from the first principles, that the equation of motion of a mass (m) on a spring, subjected to a linear resistance force R, a restoring force S, and a driving force G(t) is given by

d2x/dt2+ 2K(dx/dt) + Ω2x = F(t)

I started by saying S = αx and R = βv.
ma = G(t) - S - R = G(t) - αx - βv where a = (d2x/dt2) and v = (dx/dt)

I am a bit confused on how to use the first principles to derive the equation. Usually for first principles I would have a function like f(x) and then I would use f(x+h), but I am stuck on this part. I did try to use G(t) and G(t+h), but that did not work.
Can someone maybe give me a hint on how to use the first principles in this case? I am sure I will be able to derive the equation if I can just figure out the next step.
Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicci said:
Show, from the first principles, that the equation of motion of a mass (m) on a spring, subjected to a linear resistance force R, a restoring force S, and a driving force G(t) is given by

Hi Nicci. Welcome to PF!

Can you provide us with the exact wording of the question? I am not clear on what F(t) is.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Hi Nicci. Welcome to PF!

Can you provide us with the exact wording of the question? I am not clear on what F(t) is.

AM
"Show, from the first principles, that the equation of motion of a mass (m) on a spring, subjected to a linear resistance force R, a restoring force S, and a driving force G(t) is given by

In your discussion, clearly define S, R, K, Ω, and F(t)."
This is the exact words of the question.

In the textbook it states that:
F(t) = G(t)/m
Ω2 = α/m
2K = β/m

Thank you very much.

You haven't given any reason for introducing new parameters α and β so why do so?
Other than that, start with ΣF = ma. What is a in therms of x?
How about velocity? In terms of x? And where does G(t) fit in?
So rewrite ΣF in terms of x with the given parameters (typically constants except for G(t).
The rest should flow freely.

Nicci said:
"Show, from the first principles, that the equation of motion of a mass (m) on a spring, subjected to a linear resistance force R, a restoring force S, and a driving force G(t) is given by

In your discussion, clearly define S, R, K, Ω, and F(t)."
This is the exact words of the question.

In the textbook it states that:
F(t) = G(t)/m
Ω2 = α/m
2K = β/m
So α is the spring constant (usually denoted as k) which is potentially confusing. Also, F is an acceleration not a force, which can cause confusion.

Do as rude man says and express the sum of all forces in terms of the total mass x acceleration. There are 3 different forces ie:

∑Forces = ma = Applied force + Resistive force + Restorative Spring force

Spring: Let the equilibrium point be 0. How is the restoring force related to x?. Hint: Where is the restoring force always directed toward?

Resistive force: It is not clear from the problem as stated, but this force is a linear function of speed. What is its direction in relation to the speed direction?

Applied force: G(t) is an applied force that is not a function of x.AM

rude man said:
You haven't given any reason for introducing new parameters α and β so why do so?
Other than that, start with ΣF = ma. What is a in therms of x?
How about velocity? In terms of x? And where does G(t) fit in?
So rewrite ΣF in terms of x with the given parameters (typically constants except for G(t).
The rest should flow freely.

Thank you very much. I will define the new parameters and all the other terms.

Andrew Mason said:
So α is the spring constant (usually denoted as k) which is potentially confusing. Also, F is an acceleration not a force, which can cause confusion.

Do as rude man says and express the sum of all forces in terms of the total mass x acceleration. There are 3 different forces ie:

∑Forces = ma = Applied force + Resistive force + Restorative Spring force

Spring: Let the equilibrium point be 0. How is the restoring force related to x?. Hint: Where is the restoring force always directed toward?

Resistive force: It is not clear from the problem as stated, but this force is a linear function of speed. What is its direction in relation to the speed direction?

Applied force: G(t) is an applied force that is not a function of x.AM

Thank you very much. It looks like I am on the correct path. I will just define my parameters and other terms.

Nicci said:
Thank you very much. I will define the new parameters and all the other terms.
May you please send me all your solutions 8 am struggling with this question also

1. What are first principles?

First principles refer to the fundamental concepts or assumptions that are used to build a scientific theory or model. They are the basic building blocks of scientific understanding and are often derived from observations and experiments.

2. How do you use first principles to derive an equation of motion?

To derive an equation of motion using first principles, you would start by identifying the fundamental physical quantities involved in the motion, such as mass, velocity, and acceleration. Then, you would use basic equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, to build a mathematical model that describes the relationship between these quantities.

3. Can first principles be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, first principles can be applied to all types of motion, as they are the fundamental concepts that underlie all physical phenomena. However, the specific equations and principles used may vary depending on the type of motion being studied.

4. What are the advantages of using first principles to derive an equation of motion?

Using first principles allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying physical principles and relationships involved in the motion. It also provides a more accurate and reliable model, as it is based on fundamental concepts rather than assumptions or approximations.

5. Are there any limitations to using first principles to derive an equation of motion?

One limitation of using first principles is that it can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for more complicated systems. It also requires a strong understanding of the underlying physics and may not always be feasible or practical in certain situations.