Using force vector to integrate work in xy-plane

In summary: F_x\cdot d\vec s$$With (for AB) ##\ \vec ds = \hat\imath dy\ ## you can write $$W_{AB} = \int_B^A \vec F \cdot dy\vec s = \int_0^1 \left (...\right)F_y\cdot dy\vec s$$And finally with (for OB) ##\ \vec ds = \hat\imath dx\ ## you can write $$W_{OB} = \int_O^B \vec F \cdot dx\vec s = \int_0^1 \left (...\right
whatdoido
Hello, I picked up a challenging problem (at least to me) and I'm having difficulties.

1. Homework Statement

An object moves in xy-plane from point O = (0; 0) to point A = (1 m; 0) and from there to point B = (1 m; 2 m). All this time when the object moves a force [itex]\vec F[/itex] = ax2[itex]\vec i[/itex] + by[itex]\vec j[/itex] affects the object, where a = 3,0 N/m2 and b = 1,5 N/m2. Calculate the work done by this force in this path.

Homework Equations

[itex]W = \int_{x_0}^x F_x(x) \, dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After trying with different methods and failing, I thought the solution should be obtained by using a vector from O to B.

So I created vectors:
[itex]\vec {OA}[/itex] = a(1 m - 0 m)2[itex]\vec i[/itex] + b(0 m - 0 m)2[itex]\vec j[/itex] = a * 1 m2[itex]\vec i[/itex]
[itex]\vec {AB}[/itex] = a(1 m - 1 m)2[itex]\vec i[/itex] + b(2 m - 0 m)2[itex]\vec j[/itex] = b * 2 m[itex]\vec j[/itex]
[itex]\vec {OB}[/itex] = [itex]\vec {OA}[/itex] + [itex]\vec {AB}[/itex] = a * 1 m2[itex]\vec i[/itex] + b * 2 m[itex]\vec j[/itex] = [itex]\vec s[/itex]

After this I'm stuck. I think I need the dot product of [itex]\vec F[/itex] * [itex]\vec s[/itex] ([itex]\vec i[/itex] and [itex]\vec j[/itex] would disappear then) which could be integrated, but by what? dx? Or maybe somehow by dx and dy..? I found some similar problems of line integrals and vector fields, but I don't know apply those ideas to my problem if it is even possible.

There is also one other difficulty. By using the equation [itex]W = \int_{x_0}^x F_x(x) \, dx[/itex], I need to know x0 and x. x0 = 0 m, but do I use the length of |[itex]\vec s[/itex]| as ending point?

Am I completely off track or what? Any hints? Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you have all the pieces you need for this problem.
## W = \int_{x_0}^{x_1} F_x(x) dx = \int_{x_0}^{x_1} ax^2 +by dx ##
This equation is for the work done by moving in the x direction.

Note that the problem says the path is 1 unit in x first, then 2 units in y. So integrate the first path in x and then integrate the second path in y.

The total distance traveled is 3m, so drawing the vector OB probably won't help much.

Likes whatdoido
RUber said:
It seems like you have all the pieces you need for this problem.
## W = \int_{x_0}^{x_1} F_x(x) dx = \int_{x_0}^{x_1} ax^2 +by dx ##
This equation is for the work done by moving in the x direction.

Note that the problem says the path is 1 unit in x first, then 2 units in y. So integrate the first path in x and then integrate the second path in y.

The total distance traveled is 3m, so drawing the vector OB probably won't help much.
This really cleared things up

So from O to A, x1 = 1m y = 0

[itex]W_1 = \int_{x_0}^{x_1} F_x(x) \, dx [/itex] = [itex]\int_{x_0}^{x_1} ax^2 + by \, dx [/itex] = [itex]\int_{x_0}^{x_1} ax^2 \, dx [/itex] = [itex]\left. \frac {1}{3}ax^3\right|_{x_0}^{x_1}[/itex] = 1 Nm = 1 J

AB, x = 0 y1 = 2m

[itex]W_2 = \int_{y_0}^{y_1} F_y(y) \, dy [/itex] = [itex]\int_{y_0}^{y_1} ax^2 + by \, dy [/itex] = [itex]\int_{y_0}^{y_1} by \, dy [/itex] = [itex]\left. \frac {1}{2}by^2\right|_{y_0}^{y_1}[/itex] = 3 Nm = 3 J

[itex]W_{total} = W_1 + W_2 = 4 J[/itex]

That is the correct answer, thanks!

One more thing, how did [itex]\vec i[/itex] and [itex]\vec j[/itex] disappear? I thought it would require a dot product

Essentially, you did the dot product intuitively.
When you took the first path, you ended up with just the x component of F, which is exactly what you would have gotten with F dot s with s being the first path.
Similarly if you dot F with the second path, you come to the same conclusion, keeping only the y component of F.
When the paths are purely in the direction of your basis vector, the dot product does exactly what you think it should--keeps only the relevant parts.

Can I mark it like this? [itex]\vec i[/itex] being the first path and [itex]\vec j[/itex] being the second path.

[itex]\vec F_x[/itex] = [itex]\vec F[/itex] * [itex]\vec i[/itex] = (ax2[itex]\vec i[/itex] + by[itex]\vec j[/itex]) * [itex]\vec i[/itex] = ax2
[itex]\vec F_y[/itex] = [itex]\vec F[/itex] * [itex]\vec j[/itex] = (ax2[itex]\vec i[/itex] + by[itex]\vec j[/itex]) * [itex]\vec j[/itex] = by

Or is this incorrect way to think about it? Since if I create vectors for those two paths, I get [itex]\vec {AB}[/itex] = [itex]\vec i[/itex] and [itex]\vec {AB}[/itex] = [itex]\vec 2j[/itex]. But [itex]\vec {AB}[/itex] * [itex]\vec F[/itex] gives me a wrong answer, 2by that is

Last edited:
Not good. It doesn't match dimensionally either (##\vec i\;## has the dimension of length too).

With (for OA) ##\ \vec ds = \hat\imath dx\ ## you can write $$
W_{OA} = \int_O^A \vec F \cdot d\vec s = \int_0^1 \left ( ax^2 \; \hat \imath + by \; \hat \jmath \right ) \cdot \hat \imath \;dx = \\ \qquad \int_0^1 \left ( ax^2 * \hat \imath\cdot \hat \imath + by * \hat \jmath\cdot \hat \imath \right ) dx = \int_0^1 \left ( ax^2 * 1 + by * 0 \right ) dx
$$

BvU said:
Not good. It doesn't match dimensionally either (##\vec i\;## has the dimension of length too).With (for OA) ##\ \vec ds = \hat\imath dx\ ## you can write $$
W_{OA} = \int_O^A \vec F \cdot d\vec s = \int_0^1 \left ( ax^2 \; \hat \imath + by \; \hat \jmath \right ) \cdot \hat \imath \;dx = \\ \qquad \int_0^1 \left ( ax^2 * \hat \imath\cdot \hat \imath + by * \hat \jmath\cdot \hat \imath \right ) dx = \int_0^1 \left ( ax^2 * 1 + by * 0 \right ) dx
$$
I see, so can AB be written the same way too? ##\ d\vec s = \hat\jmath dy\ ##

Does ##\hat\imath dx\ ## and ##\hat\jmath dy\ ## just symbolize the path taken and thus the actual length is taken into account only in the integrals?

Right. Since ##\vec{ds}## refers to a small distance in the direction of the path. The vector component is ##\hat i## or ##\hat j## and the magnitude is the tiny step dx or dy. This gets much more complicated when your paths are not the straight lines you have in this example.

Likes whatdoido
whatdoido said:
I see, so can AB be written the same way too? ##\ d\vec s = \hat\jmath dy\ ## Yes.

Does ##\hat\imath dx\ ## and ##\hat\jmath dy\ ## just symbolize the path taken and thus the actual length is taken into account only in the integrals?
The path goes from (1,0) to (1,2) and it is subdivided in small steps ##d\vec s## so that we can take the inner product ##\ \vec F\cdot\vec ds\ ## for each of those little steps and add up all the contributions.

The vector ##\Delta \vec s## that takes you from ##\vec A## to ##\vec B## is ##\vec B - \vec A##, because ##\vec B = \vec A\ + \ (\vec B - \vec A)##, so
##\Delta \vec s = (0,2)## and if we subdivide that in little steps we get ##\ d\vec s = \hat\jmath dy\ ## where y runs from 0 to 2.

It's a representation, a symbolization if you want to call it that. Not of the path, but of an infinitesimal little piece of the path. And yes, where the path begins and where it ends are the bounds of the integral.

[edit]crossed RUber's reply - but I think we all agree.

Last edited:
Likes whatdoido

1. What is a force vector?

A force vector is a mathematical representation of a force, with both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the force, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the force.

2. How is a force vector used to integrate work?

In the context of integrating work in the xy-plane, a force vector is used to calculate the work done by a force in a particular direction. The force vector is multiplied by the displacement vector in that direction, and the resulting product is then integrated over the given path to calculate the total work done.

3. What is the difference between work and force?

Work and force are related concepts, but they are not the same. Force is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of a physical interaction, while work is a scalar quantity that measures the energy transferred by a force acting over a given distance.

4. Can force vectors be negative?

Yes, force vectors can be negative. A negative force vector simply indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the vector arrow. This can be useful in calculating the net force on an object, as forces in opposite directions will cancel each other out.

5. How is the xy-plane used in integrating work?

The xy-plane is a common coordinate system used in physics and engineering to represent two-dimensional motion. When integrating work in the xy-plane, the force and displacement vectors are broken down into their x and y components, and the work done in each direction is calculated separately before being combined to find the total work done.